Thread: What I've learned in 2 weeks

Thumbs up What I've learned in 2 weeks

Hi all,

My first 2 weeks of DE shaving have been pretty awesome! I've learned SO much from all of you, and I wanted to pass along to other newbies what I have found to be MOST important to an awesome shave.

First... didja notice that these DE blades are SHARP?!
    I nearly sliced my nose off repositioning my Merkur HD. On a related topic... when correcting my mistake from my aforementioned accident, I learned that syptic pencils STING LIKE HELL. Good lord, I had no idea just how much until I touched it to my bleeding nose. Nearly brought tears to my eyes.

<--- graphic representation of HedoDiver using a syptic pencil for the first time.

OK, the BIGGEST thing that I've learned is to correct a bad habit from shaving with a cartridge. With a cartridge, the blades get so mucked up with shaving cream, that you can (relatively) safely make a pass through the shaving cream, and then go over the same area once or twice without relathering.

This morning, I made sure not touch any part of my face with a razor that wasn't already covered with shaving cream (in my case, Col. Conk's glycerin soap). While I've gotten some REALLY close shaves, I've always ended up a little red. This time... it was GREAT.

Reading all the "how-to" information here was critical in those first few shaves, and now I'm learning the little quirks of my own razor, blades, and face. I can't wait to see my results in another few months! My lovely bride said my face was as smooth as our 6-month olds son's.

Thanks to all of you, newbies and veterans alike. I look forward to both learning and sharing from my experience.
    Last edited by HedoDiver; 02-14-2007 at 04:05 PM.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem." - PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

Hedo, Welcome to B&B. As you already know you will find a wealth of information here. Everyone is willing to help you acheive B&B. If you have not done so already, here is a link you should read:
    http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2006...ng-experience/
    Michael always offers very helpful and relevant advice to best ehance your shaving experience. Thanks for your great 1st post, will look for you around the board.
    Jeff [B]Razors:[/B] Futur/Progress [B]Blades:[/B] Derby's/Feathers [B]Brushes: [/B]B&B Faux Horn Finest Silvertip [B]Soaps:[/B] Mama Bear's [B]Creams:[/B] T&H [URL="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10447"]Jeff's Hall of Fame Entry[/URL] What's the point of dating without games? How do you know if you're winning or losing?-Jerry Seinfield

hedo--
    welcome. we're glad you're here. And--your experiences will only get better.
    Eric [URL="http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4953"]Hall of Fame Entry[/URL]

Images

Hedo, Welcome and glad to have you here.
    Kenny

Greetings, Hedo. Glad to have you on board.
    John Dedicated to the pursuit of Life, Liberty, and Trout.

Images

It's really great when it all starts to come together and make sense. For cartridge shavers, there's a lot to relearn, but most make the transition fairly quickly. Continue to enjoy!

Welcome Hedo, good to see another noob around here.

I've noticed these things, too. I read these forums for about 3 weeks before I found the money to get started.
    I still come back every day, and learn something new every time I do.

And yeah, why doesn't anyone tell you the styptic pencils sting?
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]-Wil-[/B][/FONT] In the end, no one will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived...and who died.