What's new

So my first DE shave is in the books....

So I can safely say that my old mach3 and fusion habits do not work with DE shaving. I would say right after the shave it was a huge disaster, but after 20 minutes or so its not that bad of a shave.

I mean I basically bled out but I know that was from me being impatient and use to a quick 5 minute shave (I should slow down) and just overall bad technique and probably way to many passes, had around 5. But I actually got a 'decent' shave from my old standards. I have definitely had worse shaves. Man I cant wait for my face to heal up and try it all over again.

Hurray to DE shaving, and hurray to a speedy recover :)

The shaves only get better here on out!

I'd recommend checking out Mantic's videos on youtube if you haven't already (http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59). He has some extremely useful tips/advice on pretty much everything shaving related.

Also you could pick up a stypic pencil/alum block to help stop the bleeding from nicks/weepers that may occur from beginner shaving, they're quite inexpensive.

finally, slow & steady wins the race! (that and watching your angle/pressure of course) :biggrin1:

Agree with bewp - definatly watch the pressure going from cartridge (drag the hair out wrestling match) to DE (glide over and cut the hair) is a big change in technique. Also I suggest you don't try for repeated touch ups without re-lathering and finally I'd cut down the number of passes 5 to start off with is alot I's suggest 2....3 at most.

Also you mentioned nothing about your prep - shaving after a shower using a good soap or cream is a huge part of a succesful and irritation free shave (+soaps and creams are so much fun to collect) not to mention a decent aftershave or balm chaser :)

Enjoy the world of DE shaving mate I have come to love it and won't be going back - welcome to the B&B world :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Congrats on the first shave! They will get easier, just remember to take your time focus on your technique and soon it'll be second nature.

Pete

Slow and steady, man is that true...Yeah I have a bad habit of trying to get a perfect BBS shave, instead of enjoying the finer things in life. I've bout everything down, pre-shave (hot towel, with Porarso pre-shave, might switch things up a bit here and there), lather (I love me some mama bear) with some a good dose syptic and witch hazel, with some aqua velva aftershave with some nutrogena post shave balm.

I can certianly see how it is enjoyable, now next time I should focus on enjoying it (with intense concentration on my form) and less on getting a perfect shave (cause that just makes me peel my face off). At least for now, till i get good. Thank you guys for all the help and encouragement, it means a lot to us newbies

Patience, Patience, Patience.

The key to DE shaving is patience. Why rush? Take your time. This should be an enjoyable experience, something to help you relax in the morning or at night. I enjoy my morning shaves, they help me get ready for an already to be expected nutso freaking day at work.

Top Bottom