What's new

What the heck is this, Franken Gem?

I should never buy something that I know nothing about, but knowing that didn't stop me from buying this GEM for $15. Once I got home, I couldn't find a version with this handle at all:

View attachment 98392

Notice the handle doesn't set flush on the head:

View attachment 98393

Nice enough case though.

View attachment 98395

View attachment 98394

Any ideas? It seems to take SE carpet blades, is that right?

I thought I was doing really well by not buying all the straights I saw laying about. One of them had pretty handles like mother of pearl...

-jim

I don't see a problem. I also have a Damaskeene razor with a different handle than I've seen anywhere else (and different from yours). The lack of flushness to the head's more because of the way that the head was formed. Once again, I don't see a problem.

You're wrong about the carpet blades. You can get very nice coated stainless blades for this at your local Walgreens.

Nice razor. It's known as a 1912 patent model, by the way. You'll see that stamped around where the handle screws in.

- Chris

Last edited:
I don't see a problem. I also have a Damaskene razor with a different handle than I've seen anywhere else (and different from yours). The lack of flushness to the head's more because of the way that the head was formed. Once again, I don't see a problem.

You're wrong about the carpet blades. You can get very nice coated stainless blades for this at your local Walgreens.

Nice razor. It's known as a 1912 patent model, by the way. You'll see that stamped around where the handle screws in.

- Chris

That is good news, I've been reading so much about these razors, I would like to try it out. So I just went out to Walgreens and bought some blades. Thank you for the info!

-jim

Looks like a stock GEM in pretty good shape. The round knurled handles are my favorite. Not as fancy looking as the "chain" style but I think they are nicer to use.

So I shaved with this last night. Took some adjustments, particularly under the nose area. I can't say I didn't like it, but I can't say that I did. It seems a different experience then my - for instance - SS or my open comb aristocrat. Didn't cause any damage though and got a nice clean shave.

I will try it again in the future. I know those folks who like them, like them very much.

-jim

So I shaved with this last night. Took some adjustments, particularly under the nose area. I can't say I didn't like it, but I can't say that I did. It seems a different experience then my - for instance - SS or my open comb aristocrat. Didn't cause any damage though and got a nice clean shave.

I will try it again in the future. I know those folks who like them, like them very much.

-jim

Wasn't until my 2nd shave I realized how nice my GEM was. The first shave wasn't very satisfying. It was a week before I got around to the second one and I never used a DE again! I kinda figured "what's the point?"

I was apprehensive about using my 1912 and Micromatic the first time, due to how much I've heard about how aggressive they are supposed to be, so I went slowly and took my time. Afterward I wondered why they ever quit making them. BBS shaves that last longer and take fewer passes than a DE.
I'm still a huge fan of my DEs, especially for shaving my head, but the Gem SEs leave my face smooth all day long. I can't argue with performance like that.
Once you find the right angle for your face, you'll love it.
If not, I could be talked into taking it off you hands.

I just bought Treet blades, made by ASR, at my local Rite Aid. I didn't want to invest in 100 ASR blades from Ted Pella before I knew if I would like it or not. Now I need to order 100 blades from him. I really like my 2 Gems. They are appropriately names. They really are little gems.
Shaves almost like a straight, without risking Sweeney Todd-ing myself.

Last edited:
Ok, I accept that I made an uninformed but lucky buy of a genuine GEM Damaskeene SE razor, with standard diamond pattern knurled rounded handle.

But I swear to you all that I did a fairly decent google for images of this razor and never did a diamond pattern knurled rounded handle ever show up. Not on a GEM. And Please, I'm not throwing the gauntlet down, please don't post the thousands of GEMS with a diamond pattern knurled rounded handle that I missed, I'm just saying if I had, I wouldn't have bugged you all. Bragged, yes. Bugged, no.

You all have made me feel so much better about my purchase. Can't wait to find more of them!

:biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

-jim

I still haven't figured out why - maybe just relative rarity - but the Damaskene has tended to get less press than most other Gems and Ever Readies. That could have something to do with the rarity of pics. But the important thing is, you did do good on that deal, in that condition with the box. It's one of the best SEs ever. It's the only SE that I care to own, after having tried several brands and models. Now write a review when you've used it a few times! :wink2:

Has anyone seen one of these with the patent "1902" instead of 1912? I just picked one up at a tag sale today for $1 but I haven't seen any mention of the "1902" patent.

Top Bottom