What's new

Dead Battery, or, how Proraso saved my morning

This is a bit of a story - thought I would warn you in advance.

For those of you who don't know, I've recently started shaving with a straight razor (after learning DE shaving only this year). I'm still very green, but it's incredibly rewarding and enjoyable, and I think I'm making great progress.

I only mention it to set up the idea that, on this particular morning, being pressed for time was a major inconvenience. I can't exactly bang out a 10 minute DFS (all the while, recording and narrating - nice work Joel!). However, I was determined to shave. Aside from hitting the snooze button in a moment of weakness, I had a meeting before work with some other gentlemen, so I was pressed a bit for time. I considered dusting off the Progress, dropping in a fresh Feather, and coasting to a three-pass DFS - but I didn't want to lose ground with my straight (practice makes perfect, after all). So, I decided to settle for a two-pass, presentable shave with my beloved Dovo Special. Side-bar: this is proving to be a very good starter straight for me. ProfessorChaos put a great edge on it.

Being the time of year it is, and partly inspired by a recent shipment from WCS, I decided that it was a Proraso kind of day. The complete 1-2-3 treatment (Cream, AS, and Pre/Post paste). I'll spare you the details of the shave; suffice it to say, it went very well, and my face was incredibly cool and refreshed. You know those ice sculptures they poor beer through? That was my face. Think Iceberg. Chill Willy. Mr Freeze, even - if he can even shave. Does that bubble come off? I digress... I was thinking that this was going to be a GREAT day, judging by this shave.

Then it went downhill fast. I practically bounced out to my car, where the proverbial bubble was instantly burst. The lolli-pop, licked free of all red. The cheerios... you get the idea. Turned the key, and the dang thing wouldn't start. Ugh. Out come the jumper cables, the key to the wife's car, etc... I was late to my meeting, and I STILL needed to go buy a battery before work. And install it. And cart the old one back in to recoup the core charge.

But this is the amazing part - during the whole ordeal, my face stayed cool and refreshed. If I so much as thought about breaking a sweat when I shaved with those multi-bladed assault razors, my face would be on fire. Even after all of this, I get to work, and I sit down at my desk. My face is still cool and refreshed - free from anything approaching irritation. Amazing.

Gents, I hope you're enjoying however you're shaving right now - I know some of you are enjoying a rose-themed month. However, if you're looking for inspiration, and the weather is warming up where you are - I might recommend picking up that old, faithful, green-labelled friend tomorrow. :001_smile

Regards,
Josh

This is a bit of a story - thought I would warn you in advance.

For those of you who don't know, I've recently started shaving with a straight razor (after learning DE shaving only this year). I'm still very green, but it's incredibly rewarding and enjoyable, and I think I'm making great progress.

I only mention it to set up the idea that, on this particular morning, being pressed for time was a major inconvenience. I can't exactly bang out a 10 minute DFS (all the while, recording and narrating - nice work Joel!). However, I was determined to shave. Aside from hitting the snooze button in a moment of weakness, I had a meeting before work with some other gentlemen, so I was pressed a bit for time. I considered dusting off the Progress, dropping in a fresh Feather, and coasting to a three-pass DFS - but I didn't want to lose ground with my straight (practice makes perfect, after all). So, I decided to settle for a two-pass, presentable shave with my beloved Dovo Special. Side-bar: this is proving to be a very good starter straight for me. ProfessorChaos put a great edge on it.

Being the time of year it is, and partly inspired by a recent shipment from WCS, I decided that it was a Proraso kind of day. The complete 1-2-3 treatment (Cream, AS, and Pre/Post paste). I'll spare you the details of the shave; suffice it to say, it went very well, and my face was incredibly cool and refreshed. You know those ice sculptures they poor beer through? That was my face. Think Iceberg. Chill Willy. Mr Freeze, even - if he can even shave. Does that bubble come off? I digress... I was thinking that this was going to be a GREAT day, judging by this shave.

Then it went downhill fast. I practically bounced out to my car, where the proverbial bubble was instantly burst. The lolli-pop, licked free of all red. The cheerios... you get the idea. Turned the key, and the dang thing wouldn't start. Ugh. Out come the jumper cables, the key to the wife's car, etc... I was late to my meeting, and I STILL needed to go buy a battery before work. And install it. And cart the old one back in to recoup the core charge.

But this is the amazing part - during the whole ordeal, my face stayed cool and refreshed. If I so much as thought about breaking a sweat when I shaved with those multi-bladed assault razors, my face would be on fire. Even after all of this, I get to work, and I sit down at my desk. My face is still cool and refreshed - free from anything approaching irritation. Amazing.

Gents, I hope you're enjoying however you're shaving right now - I know some of you are enjoying a rose-themed month. However, if you're looking for inspiration, and the weather is warming up where you are - I might recommend picking up that old, faithful, green-labelled friend tomorrow. :001_smile

Regards,
Josh

Excellent story. I am a huge supporter of Proraso products as well.

And it also shows how much a good shave can affect the quality of one's day.

The only good thing about the hot weather is all the menthol goodness I get to use: Proraso, Skin Bracer, Alcolado Glacial, Lucido, The Shave Den's Double Iced Lime A/S.

Plus I have a few menthol crystals to play with . :velva2:

Top Bottom