What's new

Just shaved the way I used to...

Using an M3 and canned shave gel. :ohmy:

Now here's the problem:

1. I got a much closer shave using the M3 than the DE. Granted, this was a 3-pass with an ATG in there, but still.... I think it's because I'm still a newbie at DE and still nick myself routinely.
2. Hardly any nicks, goes hand in hand with point 1 above.
3. I miss the shave brush and the nice warm lather I get! I also miss the "macho-ness" factor that comes with a DE!
(All my DE stuff is at my SO's place right now...)

Blehh..

-ice

By all means use what works for you. For me, shaving with a sensor or m3 is tangibly less close and less comfortable than a DE or SE shave.

M3 worked well for me. But it's dull. And all that money wasted on blades when I could be trying a new soap or cream.

When was the last time you looked forward to buying cartridges?

Makes sense to me. You have a much better understanding of shaving at this point, carts are very user friendly, and you did three passes with 4 or 5? blades each time. I think the main drawbacks, if you know you to treat you skin kinder, are the price of the alternative to the DE and the lack of a more traditional experience. I for one have very little motivation to return to cart shaving any time soon. However, I certainly do not have less respect for a person that finds that they get better shaves doing so.

I'm with Mattbikes on this one. I get closer (slightly) shaves with a Trac-II cartridge, but I always get irritation from them and they're way too expensive.

To top it off, if I use a cartridge more than once, maybe twice, I get some nasty acne-like stuff going on.

Something that the DE razor has going on for it is that even if you're using the same blade for 4-5 shaves, you can actually CLEAN the damn thing! Take it out, rinse it off real good, spritz it with some alcohol, etc. If nothing else the DE has cleanliness on it's side.

Part of why so many of us love using our DEs and straights is the act of shaving is so much more enjoyable then it was with a cartridge and canned goo.

Part of why so many of us love using our DEs and straights is the act of shaving is so much more enjoyable then it was with a cartridge and canned goo.

Exactly. I really do enjoy my DE shave (which I would obviously have done if I had my stuff with me) but I just wish I had it down so I wasn't nicking myself all the time :sad:. Yesterday's shave with the M3 was out of desperation ha ha - the beard had to be removed.

If you dry your cartridge after each shave and keep it out of the bathroom (steam) it will last much longer. I've gotten 15 shaves (1 month, shaving every other day) with an M3 and at the end of the month my shave is still as clean and smooth as the first shave.

I would agree that your experience using carts and your lack of experience with DE's may have a lot to do with the quality/closeness of your shaves. I have tried them all, and after working thru the learning curve that is wet shaving I don't think I'll ever find a reason to go back. I love the experience, and the undeniable closeness I get with any of my DE's.

I would agree that your experience using carts and your lack of experience with DE's may have a lot to do with the quality/closeness of your shaves. I have tried them all, and after working thru the learning curve that is wet shaving I don't think I'll ever find a reason to go back. I love the experience, and the undeniable closeness I get with any of my DE's.
+ Infinity.:wink2::001_smile:001_smile

I converted after years of M3 madness myself. I get closer and more comfortable shaves now with my DE. The only area the M3 edges out the DE is the speed of beard growth. I attribute this to the lift and cut method of the cartridges. This is a non-issue for me, as I now prefer the irritation free closeness I get from my DE.

I'm sitting here with an exceptionally close, irritation-free two pass shave that I got with my Mach 3 this morning. Of course, I took a warm shower first and used a quality badger brush (EJ Best Badger) and Provence Sante soap. The shave was followed by a splash of Thayer's WH and then an application of Nivea Replenishing balm.

I continue to be amazed that so many people insist on attributing the poor results they may have experienced in the past with a Mach 3 (or other cartridge razor) to the razor, itself, and not acknowledge the role of their lack of proper preparation and use of canned goo. There is absolutely no reason to use canned goo with a cartridge razor. With quality products and good technique anyone can get superior results with just about any razor.

The almost non-stop bashing of anything that is not a DE or straight (I know that not everyone does it, but still...) smacks more of insecurity than it does of conviction.

I continue to be amazed that so many people insist on attributing the poor results they may have experienced in the past with a Mach 3 (or other cartridge razor) to the razor, itself, and not acknowledge the role of their lack of proper preparation and use of canned goo. There is absolutely no reason to use canned goo with a cartridge razor. With quality products and good technique anyone can get superior results with just about any razor.

The almost non-stop bashing of anything that is not a DE or straight (I know that not everyone does it, but still...) smacks more of insecurity than it does of conviction.
I'm not sure I can 100% agree with you regarding good technique being fully applicable to cartridge shaving. The modern cartridge razor is built for a pivot, multi-blade cartridge head. You cannot adjust the angle of the cutting edge and are required to press down somewhat on your face to shave. Can you get a good shave? Yes, you can get a good shave and even a great shave as Gillette and Schick have cleverly designed a convenient, modern shaving system for time pressed individuals.

However, technique is somewhat minimized in importance with a cartridge system. The requirement for beard preparation is also minimized with a cartridge system. However, I do agree with you that quality products can make a difference in a cartridge shave but again, not to the same extent. To be honest, I don't think "canned goo" is all that bad. Nivea and Gillette make some great mass marketed products.

Regardless, despite all the advancements, these systems are compromises to some people. Skin irritation and other associated issues convinced a number of shavers to change systems and people are, rightly so, appreciative of turning a boring chore into something enjoyable. Isn't that worth proselytizing about?

Thought I would join you this morning, but with a Fusion.

Result:
1. close, quick, smooth, boring shave.
2. more irritation on skin, felt right away.
3. by the afternoon, an earlier light shadow (like only some of the stubble was cut short enough)
4. by the afternoon, a sense the skin still needs rest.
5. by the afternoon, not even DFS in some areas of face.

My problems with cartridges are mostly due to what they do to my skin, not how they actually shave. I also tend to find that cartridge razors are too light for my taste. I like a nice hunk of metal with some weight to it.

Here's one routine I enjoy every now and then, for an excellent balance of luxury, variation, and speed.

I perform my first pass, with the grain, using my cartridge razors, as they are most efficient in removing large volumes of hair. Then I perform the rest of my shave with the double-edged razor.

This allows me to cut my shave from 4 passes using all-doble-edged to 3 passes. Best of both worlds. And I will fully admit there is a certain degree of fun to using a cartridge...it's OK if I press a little, it's OK if I go a little faster. :)

What DE were you using? Maybe a less aggressive model would be better. If only until you get that technique up to speed. That learning curve can be a bi**h! :angry: I'm using a Merkur 33c. Its a quite mild razor. I would need to be something mad with it to nick myself.

I went back to the old fusion myself a few weeks ago. Had a bad experience with a shavette and wanted to give my face a couple of days to heal! I was surprised what a good job it did! But then again I was doing good prep and still using a brush with good soaps / creams.

Anyhooooo. Use what works for you and don't feel you have to explain yourself to anyone!:thumbup:

Top Bottom