What's new

What is drawing Paste?

This is for a translation I am doing: what does the 'drawing' part refer to? I get that this is for removing pimples/acne, but does drawing refer here to drawing something out, or what?

I have Dermalogica Seburn Clearing Masque here. It states: "A cooling, refining and deep-cleansing clay masque that purifies, absorbs excess surface oil and helps prevent breakouts.

Would that be what you're referring to ???

I guess that's makes the most reasonable explanation. So it essentially dries the pimple up? So 'Drying Paste' would be one way to translate it.

I've heard "Drawing Salve" talked about by some older folks, with the implication that the "drawing" referred to drawing the "ick" out of a wound, pimple, boil, as one would draw water from a well... Precisely as you thought. It's kind of an archaic term, and my understanding is that Drawing Salve in it's classic form is some fairly caustic stuff.

I've heard "Drawing Salve" talked about by some older folks, with the implication that the "drawing" referred to drawing the "ick" out of a wound, pimple, boil, as one would draw water from a well... Precisely as you thought. It's kind of an archaic term, and my understanding is that Drawing Salve in it's classic form is some fairly caustic stuff.

This. I do a lot of reading about outmoded medicinal products (Civil War reenactor and medieval history buff, with a particular interest in herbal remedies), and this is exactly what a "drawing salve" does. It's intended to bring the problem (inflammation, infection, etc) to the surface and out of the body. A decent reference link is here.

Generally speaking, though, a drawing salve doesn't do anything of the sort, and basically just treats the injury.

HTH!

Guess I'm one of the old f**ts you've heard talking 'bout this stuff. Used it a lot as a kid and NO it's NOT caustic. Worked great on helping ease out deep seated slivers as opposed to digging 'em out. Stuff was usually thick and very dark.... kinda like molasses. Had an unusual smell too. Stuff is still sold in pharmacies and is available on line from folks like drugstore.com and others.

I have never heard of the "paste", but "drawing salve" is known as Ichthyol Ointment, Black Salve, and the like. It is sulfonated shale oil (at least it was originally), and is still available. Though it is said not to actually draw out anything, rather softening the overlying skin and providing some antibacterial properties, it does work. My father used it on me, and I have used it for decades, mostly on my dogs. It is very effective when there are deeply-embedded cactus spines and the like in a dog's paw pad, for example.

Guess I'm one of the old f**ts you've heard talking 'bout this stuff. Used it a lot as a kid and NO it's NOT caustic. Worked great on helping ease out deep seated slivers as opposed to digging 'em out. Stuff was usually thick and very dark.... kinda like molasses. Had an unusual smell too. Stuff is still sold in pharmacies and is available on line from folks like drugstore.com and others.

Ahh, magnaplasm ( sp ) ! Is that what you mean ???

When I was a kid many years ago over here, the "Drawing Ointment" was always Magnesium Sulphate paste. You can still get it in Boots!

Gareth

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
When I was a kid many years ago over here, the "Drawing Ointment" was always Magnesium Sulphate paste. You can still get it in Boots!

Gareth

That's what I recall as well. Here it was marketed under the brand name Osmopak but if it was not on hand the pharmacist would make it himself. It was used for infected wounds and in particular bedsores. I believe the brand name Osmopak was based on the product drawing out the infection through osmosis.

Well I have a totally different opinion of the one left. The paste although expensive for half a tub as there is a floor that splits the tub in half so you think there is more than there actually is, but apart from that this paste is amazing.
I have used to be a kiehl's rep. I have tried before and it didn't work for me. And the smell was just awful and it was very sticky.

It looks like Kiehl's makes a "drawing paste". The ingredients (kaolin, calendula, ZnO) suggests it acts like a clay mask.

Link

Ahem, yes. Kiehl is the client for this translation job...:blushing:

Anyways, thanks for the info guys. It can be challenging to find a good translation, sometimes you just need to invent new words, if none exist previously.:wink2:

Top Bottom