What's new

Wedge Shaving Help!

Hi Guys! Have any of you had trouble shaving with a wedge. I have a Wade and Butcher that I cannot get a close shave with. The razor I first started with is a Henckels full hollow and I have not had a problem with that one. Do I need to shave with more/less of an angle? Does it make a difference on the angle I shave with because it was honed with three layers of tape? I heard somewhere that a wedge cannot get as sharp as a full hollow? Is that true? The edges on both razors have been finished on a chinese 12K and then a pasted strop. The wedge passes the HHT and the nail test. I appreciate all your guys input in advance

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
For me, when I first started using a straight, I seemed to hold the wedge at a much greater angle away from the face than with a hollow.
I think it was because of the feel of the side of the razor, and it wanting to "suck up" to my cheek.
Try less angle, and just keep it far enough off to prevent sticking to your face.
That worked for me.
Good Luck.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Finding the right angle with a wedge is a bit more difficult. You don't have the same noise while you shave you you're always 'unsure' that you are doing it right.

How do you shave with a wedge? Same way than any other straights. It take time to get used to it. My Military straight wedge gives me close shaves just like my Full Hollow straights.

When I shave with my Joseph Allen & Sons (quarter hollow) wedge, it seems to take 4 passes to get (almost) BBS when 2 and a partial will get true BBS with my other non-wedge razors. And yes, I do seem to have more angle with it - but I also get 'sore or bruised' skin with it. Probably from pushing too hard trying to get BBS...I'm still trying to figure this one out.

Finding the right angle with a wedge is a bit more difficult. You don't have the same noise while you shave you you're always 'unsure' that you are doing it right.

I think this is it. Much less feedback but I am able to get a very good bbs shave with my wedge. Just practice.

Shaving with a wedge is a little less comfortable to me depending on its size. However, you can get them equally as sharp and I consistently get smoother shaves with wedges, but if you do not use a light touch it will be a little uncomfortable. I have a bristly type beard so the wedges are a little smoother to my face.
Don't over complicate something like this. Wedges are no different in how they work mechanically form any other straight razor. Practice a steeper angle on the first pass, then slightly flatter and repeat. If you can't get a BBS with three passes (WTG, ATG, XTG) then your razor is not honed right the although its sharp, the bevel may not be quite what it should be.
At any rate, take it as you will, but wedges require a little more touch in my opinion, but they are very good shavers in my opinion.

Thank You for all your input guys ill try to keep lesser of an angle. I have really heard great things about wedge razors so I hope that I will be able to get a great shave with one. The shave I had yesterday turned out very comfortable although not as close as id like it to be.

apart from the angle and pressure issue, are you sure the razor is honed properly?

I believe it is honed pretty well like I mentioned earlier every thing seems in line. But im not very experienced at honing so take that lightly.

Top Bottom