What's new

Is the Merkur Futur really THAT aggressive?

No need to dissasemble the Futur. When your done shaving, swirl the head around in some rubbing alcohol, this will dissolve anything internal build up and keep your razor working great.

No need to dissasemble the Futur. When your done shaving, swirl the head around in some rubbing alcohol, this will dissolve anything internal build up and keep your razor working great.

The alcohol (IPA might be best) will certainly dissolve glycerin left over from soap. However, if you are in a hard water area, alcohol will not dissolve calcium deposits. My water in France is hard enough to knock nails in with. Everything that gets that water on it gets limescale. Shower cleaner works well to remove this but I would suggest using very carefully on the Zamak castings as it can corrode Zamak. Just a small amount on an old toothbrush and wash off quickly. Shower cleaner is fine on the plated brass parts.The other problem if you are always dipping in alcohol, is that it will dissolve any lubrication you put on the threads and you may find the adjustment getting very squeaky like mine did.

Wilson

I've spent a few weeks trying to come to grips with my Futur, changed up from a cheap Chinese DE. My issue is with the weight, making it clumsy and difficult to not over apply too much pressure. My neck is very sensitive and even with zero pressure the pure weight of the Futur is too much for my neck. The risk is if I grip the Futur too lightly then the head can move around and accidents may occur.... I switched to an Edwin Jagger and can't believe the difference.

The Futur can give a very close shave, and around the face it's great, but for me I cannot take it anywhere near my neck. Perhaps it's my technique, but having tried for weeks I can't subject my neck to more torture.

I guess it's a great razor if you can 'tame the beast', but from reading about the Futur it seems to be down to personal technique and skin types.

I've spent a few weeks trying to come to grips with my Futur, changed up from a cheap Chinese DE. My issue is with the weight, making it clumsy and difficult to not over apply too much pressure. My neck is very sensitive and even with zero pressure the pure weight of the Futur is too much for my neck. The risk is if I grip the Futur too lightly then the head can move around and accidents may occur.... I switched to an Edwin Jagger and can't believe the difference.

The Futur can give a very close shave, and around the face it's great, but for me I cannot take it anywhere near my neck. Perhaps it's my technique, but having tried for weeks I can't subject my neck to more torture.

I guess it's a great razor if you can 'tame the beast', but from reading about the Futur it seems to be down to personal technique and skin types.

I have seen a picture somewhere on this forum from a Futur user, who had the same issue that you did. He fitted a very neat (looked like manufacturer original) textured rubber grip on it. You can buy material for recovering classic cameras called Griptac from Morgan at www.cameraleather.com. It has very strong glue on the back and you just cut to size, peel off the non-stick backing paper and apply. As an alternative (Morgan is not the world's best responder to emails) this is not Griptac but it is similar: www.amazon.com/Black-Magic-Single-S...QVYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336425545&sr=8-1. I think I have some Griptac left over from recovering a Leica camera and if it is big enough, I might do my Futur. At least mine is satin, which I am guessing not quite as slippery as the bright chrome.

Wilson

I could not find the Griptac but I did find a small bit of dark slate blue textured kid leather camera covering. A bit shiny at the moment but it will soften and get stickier when it gets some soap and water on it. If it doesn't work, a matter of seconds to strip it off.

Wilson

Attachments

• $sleeve.jpg
    $sleeve.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 235
The alcohol (IPA might be best) will certainly dissolve glycerin left over from soap. However, if you are in a hard water area, alcohol will not dissolve calcium deposits. My water in France is hard enough to knock nails in with. Everything that gets that water on it gets limescale. Shower cleaner works well to remove this but I would suggest using very carefully on the Zamak castings as it can corrode Zamak. Just a small amount on an old toothbrush and wash off quickly. Shower cleaner is fine on the plated brass parts.The other problem if you are always dipping in alcohol, is that it will dissolve any lubrication you put on the threads and you may find the adjustment getting very squeaky like mine did.

Wilson

You recommend cleaning in India Pale Ale (IPA) Seems like a waste of good beer.

Ok folks go and get some grip tape for your Futur. The mod shown above on my Futur is brilliant and gives you so much better control. If has exceeded my expectations for such a simple change, by some margin. When wet the leather becomes really grippy and makes angling the head of the razor under your chin and nose a whole lot easier. You don't have to grip it hard any more. This is where I think the problems can arise, as if you have to grip it hard to prevent it swivelling, the razor does not then follow the contours of your face. I think that many sports shops will keep grip tape for the handles of golf sticks and tennis bats (or is it the other way round).

Wilson

Guys, the waist is put on the Futur for a reason-- that is where the balance point is:
attachment.php

Hold it near the top of the waist, as shown, and it is in balance. Hold it at the bottom of the waist if you want some head weight. If you are holding it down near the bottom of the handle, it is no wonder you think it is the most aggressive razor ever. I don't think it was designed to be used like that.

The Futur is more aggressive even at 1.5 than my Ikon S3S, irrespective of where you hold it. Just look at the body/blade gap,which is a good indicator. Compared with most razors, the body blade gap on the Futur varies from wide to huge depending on setting. OTOH it does shave closer than any other razor I have used and even a two pass will give you that polished look.
Wilson

I own a Futur and it's most often the razor I reach for.

That being said, I do find it aggressive. Mine remains set on 1, but nothing seems to give a closer shave with two passes and touch-ups than the Futur. To give you a reference point, my other razors are mostly slants and OCs. As with all razors, the choice of blade seems to make a difference and I've only used Astra SPs with mine. As I try different combinations of blades with it, I'll try to post the results.
Of course, YMMV. :wink2:

I think it takes a while to get used to the Vision and Futur siblings. Early on, I always got terrible irritation and nicks at anything above 2, but these days, I can crank my Futur up to 6 with little or no irritation (depending on the blade I use) and get a BBS with 2+ passes. I think blade angle is critical, but I also think you need to pay attention to make sure that the entire head is flush to the skin at all times. These are touchy razors, but if you're patient and get used to them, you will be rewarded.

I think it takes a while to get used to the Vision and Futur siblings. Early on, I always got terrible irritation and nicks at anything above 2, but these days, I can crank my Futur up to 6 with little or no irritation (depending on the blade I use) and get a BBS with 2+ passes. I think blade angle is critical, but I also think you need to pay attention to make sure that the entire head is flush to the skin at all times. These are touchy razors, but if you're patient and get used to them, you will be rewarded.

Thank you for the insight. I'm definitely interested in continuing to improve my shaves with the Futur.

I understand there's a big love-it-or-hate-it thing with the Futur, but my question is much more specific: is the "1" setting really much more aggressive than any non-adjustable razor? I'd like to start with a **slightly** more aggressive shave and work my way up, not jump right to something that's going to remove hunks of flesh if my attention lapses for a second.

Any thoughts?

Yes it is. You could drive a car through the blade gap.
But it still shaves quite smoothly. I used it on #4 before becoming a Slant lover. I'd like to say it's as close as you can get to a straight razor shave without using a straight razor.

Yes it is. You could drive a car through the blade gap.
But it still shaves quite smoothly. I used it on #4 before becoming a Slant lover. I'd like to say it's as close as you can get to a straight razor shave without using a straight razor.

Is there a difference between "gap" (distance between blade and safety bar) and "exposure" (how much above the safety bar the blade extends)?

Take a look at the above images. At "1" there certainly is still a big gap, but not alot of exposure of the blade.

By "6" there is alot of each...:blink:

Oh lordy!!!!! I shaved with my new futur today lathered IP with MdC and it was the best shave of my life. No exaggeration!

For those who would like a modern adjustable but would find the Futur too aggressive, there is always the Merkur Progress Adjustable, both long and short handle. I had an issue with mine from flaking chrome plate but that may not be typical, even though it has been reported by others. The Progress is much milder than the Futur.

Wilson

For those who would like a modern adjustable but would find the Futur too aggressive, there is always the Merkur Progress Adjustable, both long and short handle. I had an issue with mine from flaking chrome plate but that may not be typical, even though it has been reported by others. The Progress is much milder than the Futur.

Wilson

I've read good things about the Progress and would love to compare it to my Futur. From what I understand, the range of adjustment, from mild to wild, is greater. :wink2:

Top Bottom