What's new

Is the Merkur Futur really THAT aggressive?

So on another post I asked a question that got me directed to the aggressiveness chart that lists the blade gap on a number of DE razors. I've decided to try an adjustable and shave a little more aggressively than I do with my current 28C.

I understand there's a big love-it-or-hate-it thing with the Futur, but my question is much more specific: is the "1" setting really much more aggressive than any non-adjustable razor? I'd like to start with a **slightly** more aggressive shave and work my way up, not jump right to something that's going to remove hunks of flesh if my attention lapses for a second.

Any thoughts?

Blade gap doesn't tell the whole story. But don't ask me what does. Even set to 1, the Futur seems to be more aggressive then my HD when used in tight areas, like above the lip. Give it a wide open space like the cheek or a swipe across the jaw and it can be a pleasure to drive.

It's not just the adjustable blade gap with the Futur, it is also the weight that gives it the power to deal with tough growth - it is simply the most effective DE razor I own and is part of my regular rotation:biggrin1:

I find the Futur a bit more aggressive than most razors, even set at one. Add the significant weight and you'll remove swaths of your face if you aren't careful. Set low and used with a light touch, however, and you will get excellent results.

The Futur was one of the first DE's I bought and I don't like it. I'm sure it's because I'm still learning how to shave with a DE and I never took the time to find the sweet spot with it but I used it long enough to go through all the settings on it and put it away, haven't used it since. In fact I would like to trade it for a straight edge. I might as well give it to someone who will use it and get something i've been curious about. The Futur tore me a new one with its weight and aggressiveness. I'll stick with my HD. But that's just my opinion

As said before the weight has a lot to do with this razor and like all razors it can be a dangerous tool in your hand, but again like all razors learn to use it and its a fab shave.

I tried a Futur when I was looking for my first adjustable razor. I didn't like it at all, I found it indeed much too aggressive, even at setting 1. Not what I was looking for, as my goal was to find a razor that I could dial down to a less aggressive setting than a fixed-head DE.

I found what I was looking for with a Gillette Super Adjustable, which is my daily razor now and in fact the only razor I use anymore.

The Futur is my first DE. Quite aggressive, but I am now getting to grips with it, so all is well.

Had been following the boards here and there recently, so I decided few weeks ago that I should have another DE. Bought the Muhle R89. A non-adjustable razor.

Believe it or not, I practically cannot shave with the Muhle (yet)... I very much in fact plan to start soon using my only straight. Being used at 2 1/2 or 3 in the Futur, anything else feels as if no stubble can be removed.

So, yes, the Futur demands great caution. But it is a great tool, if of course you are ok with its weight and size.

I bought a Futur but it went missing. Last I heard, it was blitzkrieging it's way through the Sudetenland.

Do not scoff at the tales of Futur aggression, and do not let it near your French soaps.

I used to have a Weishi and I moved 2 months ago to a Futur, I only needed a few days to adapt to it (bloody frist day!)

Now I use it on dial 3 to 4 with no problem at all. Of course you may pay atention, but I did even have to be careful whith the Weishi in the beginning.

On setting 'one,' the Futur is still much more aggressive than any razor that I've used (Single Ring, American Button Company, Old Type, various Super Speeds, New Improved, Toggle, Fat Boy, Slim). And as others have said, it is both a combination of the weight of the razor and the blade gap. For me, these two factors combined to make the Futur almost unusable. If you want an adjustable that can be dialed in to just slightly more aggressive than what you are accustomed to, then I would guess a Fat Boy or a Slim would be a good choice.

Another shining example of YMMV...While the Futur is aggressive, it is not overly so. I would rather describe it as thorough; I get excellent smooth and gentle shaves from it. It also is the one razor that works equally well with every blade I have tried.
But it has to be said that I like aggressive razors, I can't get a decent shave from a Super Speed for example...

I didn't find the Futur really aggressive based on the blade gap. However, it's not a mild razor (and never will be) so it's best for experienced individuals who want aggressiveness and adjustability. Individuals that buy it in the hopes of having a mild setting will be disappointed.

Blade gap doesn't tell the whole story. But don't ask me what does.
Remember, one of the basics of wet-shaving technique is to let the weight of the razor do the work.

When you compare the weight of the Futur to an HD, you've got more than twice as much mass behind that blade. So of course its going to get more work done with the same effort.

Like any new razor (or blade for that matter) the Futur takes a few shaves to get to know it. Crank it down at first, go slow, you'll do fine. I think it is a great razor. I appreciate the weight. Oh, and I've never lost a finger changing a blade on the Futur, and I get as close a shave under my nose with the Futur as I do with an HD. For me, the nose thing was a matter of getting over my fear that I didn't know where the blade was. It delivers comfortable shaves with every blade I have used (Feather, Iridium, Derby, Red Personna, Merkur, Astra, a few others). The DE world is polarized on this razor. I wouldn't think of parting with mine.

I recently bought a Futur but traded it after a few uses. It was a great razor but the geometry of the head was much different than the other DE's I've used over the past 35 years and I just couldn't get used to it. I'll stick with my Gillettes and Jaggers.

Another shining example of YMMV...While the Futur is aggressive, it is not overly so. I would rather describe it as thorough; I get excellent smooth and gentle shaves from it. It also is the one razor that works equally well with every blade I have tried.
But it has to be said that I like aggressive razors, I can't get a decent shave from a Super Speed for example...

+1

I use mine wide open, that is set to 6.5. I get excellent shaves from it.

I am a relative newbie at DE shaving and love my Merkur HD and Merkur Futur. I have had great shaves from the Futur. I feel one has to be careful placing or removing blades from any razor and find that on the Futur it is just not difficult. I let the weight of the razor glide the blade over my beard and apply minimal pressure for a great shave. Pay attention while shaving and I think you will enjoy the Futur.

like any new razor (or blade for that matter) the futur takes a few shaves to get to know it. Crank it down at first, go slow, you'll do fine. I think it is a great razor. I appreciate the weight. Oh, and i've never lost a finger changing a blade on the futur, and i get as close a shave under my nose with the futur as i do with an hd. For me, the nose thing was a matter of getting over my fear that i didn't know where the blade was. It delivers comfortable shaves with every blade i have used (feather, iridium, derby, red personna, merkur, astra, a few others). The de world is polarized on this razor. I wouldn't think of parting with mine.

+1

The Futur is an aggressive razor but that can be, in my case, easily mastered. It was my first DE and I now obtain almost systematically an irritation-free BBS with this razor opened at 1.

Surprisingly, I have much more difficulties to master the FatBoy, which is known to be quite a mild razor. I use it opened at 4 for now and I get disappointing shaves (far from the Futur) and razor burn under the jaw line.

So in my experience, aggressiveness/mildness does not equals danger/safe, pain/comfort or difficult/easy...

Top Bottom