Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 67

Thread: Is the Merkur Futur really THAT aggressive?

  1. #41

    Default

    The Futur is my daily shaver and I use it at 3.5. Perfect.




    Quote Originally Posted by torero View Post
    +1

  2. #42

    Default

    No need to dissasemble the Futur. When your done shaving, swirl the head around in some rubbing alcohol, this will dissolve anything internal build up and keep your razor working great.
    I keep Christ in Christmas...........Founder of the COA

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chailey near Lewes in Sussex UK and Tourtour in the Var, Provence, France
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Debrushman View Post
    No need to dissasemble the Futur. When your done shaving, swirl the head around in some rubbing alcohol, this will dissolve anything internal build up and keep your razor working great.
    The alcohol (IPA might be best) will certainly dissolve glycerin left over from soap. However, if you are in a hard water area, alcohol will not dissolve calcium deposits. My water in France is hard enough to knock nails in with. Everything that gets that water on it gets limescale. Shower cleaner works well to remove this but I would suggest using very carefully on the Zamak castings as it can corrode Zamak. Just a small amount on an old toothbrush and wash off quickly. Shower cleaner is fine on the plated brass parts.The other problem if you are always dipping in alcohol, is that it will dissolve any lubrication you put on the threads and you may find the adjustment getting very squeaky like mine did.

    Wilson
    Gillette S. Adj, Stahly Live Blade, Feather AS-D1, Eclipse RR, and Ikon S3S + others.

  4. #44

    Default

    I've spent a few weeks trying to come to grips with my Futur, changed up from a cheap Chinese DE. My issue is with the weight, making it clumsy and difficult to not over apply too much pressure. My neck is very sensitive and even with zero pressure the pure weight of the Futur is too much for my neck. The risk is if I grip the Futur too lightly then the head can move around and accidents may occur.... I switched to an Edwin Jagger and can't believe the difference.

    The Futur can give a very close shave, and around the face it's great, but for me I cannot take it anywhere near my neck. Perhaps it's my technique, but having tried for weeks I can't subject my neck to more torture.

    I guess it's a great razor if you can 'tame the beast', but from reading about the Futur it seems to be down to personal technique and skin types.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chailey near Lewes in Sussex UK and Tourtour in the Var, Provence, France
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eeney View Post
    I've spent a few weeks trying to come to grips with my Futur, changed up from a cheap Chinese DE. My issue is with the weight, making it clumsy and difficult to not over apply too much pressure. My neck is very sensitive and even with zero pressure the pure weight of the Futur is too much for my neck. The risk is if I grip the Futur too lightly then the head can move around and accidents may occur.... I switched to an Edwin Jagger and can't believe the difference.

    The Futur can give a very close shave, and around the face it's great, but for me I cannot take it anywhere near my neck. Perhaps it's my technique, but having tried for weeks I can't subject my neck to more torture.

    I guess it's a great razor if you can 'tame the beast', but from reading about the Futur it seems to be down to personal technique and skin types.
    I have seen a picture somewhere on this forum from a Futur user, who had the same issue that you did. He fitted a very neat (looked like manufacturer original) textured rubber grip on it. You can buy material for recovering classic cameras called Griptac from Morgan at www.cameraleather.com. It has very strong glue on the back and you just cut to size, peel off the non-stick backing paper and apply. As an alternative (Morgan is not the world's best responder to emails) this is not Griptac but it is similar: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Magic-Si...6425545&sr=8-1. I think I have some Griptac left over from recovering a Leica camera and if it is big enough, I might do my Futur. At least mine is satin, which I am guessing not quite as slippery as the bright chrome.

    Wilson
    Gillette S. Adj, Stahly Live Blade, Feather AS-D1, Eclipse RR, and Ikon S3S + others.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chailey near Lewes in Sussex UK and Tourtour in the Var, Provence, France
    Posts
    100

    Default Futur non-slip sleeve

    I could not find the Griptac but I did find a small bit of dark slate blue textured kid leather camera covering. A bit shiny at the moment but it will soften and get stickier when it gets some soap and water on it. If it doesn't work, a matter of seconds to strip it off.

    Wilson
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sleeve.jpg  
    Gillette S. Adj, Stahly Live Blade, Feather AS-D1, Eclipse RR, and Ikon S3S + others.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WilsonLaidlaw View Post
    The alcohol (IPA might be best) will certainly dissolve glycerin left over from soap. However, if you are in a hard water area, alcohol will not dissolve calcium deposits. My water in France is hard enough to knock nails in with. Everything that gets that water on it gets limescale. Shower cleaner works well to remove this but I would suggest using very carefully on the Zamak castings as it can corrode Zamak. Just a small amount on an old toothbrush and wash off quickly. Shower cleaner is fine on the plated brass parts.The other problem if you are always dipping in alcohol, is that it will dissolve any lubrication you put on the threads and you may find the adjustment getting very squeaky like mine did.

    Wilson
    You recommend cleaning in India Pale Ale (IPA) Seems like a waste of good beer.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chailey near Lewes in Sussex UK and Tourtour in the Var, Provence, France
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ski-Patroller View Post
    You recommend cleaning in India Pale Ale (IPA) Seems like a waste of good beer.
    .....but it goes well with the Bay Rum aftershave.

    Wilson

    PS IPA = Iso Propyl Alcohol
    Gillette S. Adj, Stahly Live Blade, Feather AS-D1, Eclipse RR, and Ikon S3S + others.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chailey near Lewes in Sussex UK and Tourtour in the Var, Provence, France
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Ok folks go and get some grip tape for your Futur. The mod shown above on my Futur is brilliant and gives you so much better control. If has exceeded my expectations for such a simple change, by some margin. When wet the leather becomes really grippy and makes angling the head of the razor under your chin and nose a whole lot easier. You don't have to grip it hard any more. This is where I think the problems can arise, as if you have to grip it hard to prevent it swivelling, the razor does not then follow the contours of your face. I think that many sports shops will keep grip tape for the handles of golf sticks and tennis bats (or is it the other way round).

    Wilson
    Gillette S. Adj, Stahly Live Blade, Feather AS-D1, Eclipse RR, and Ikon S3S + others.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    11,654
    Images
    40

    Default

    Guys, the waist is put on the Futur for a reason-- that is where the balance point is:


    Hold it near the top of the waist, as shown, and it is in balance. Hold it at the bottom of the waist if you want some head weight. If you are holding it down near the bottom of the handle, it is no wonder you think it is the most aggressive razor ever. I don't think it was designed to be used like that.
    One, two! One, two! and through and through...The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    My Vorpal Razors

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chailey near Lewes in Sussex UK and Tourtour in the Var, Provence, France
    Posts
    100

    Default

    The Futur is more aggressive even at 1.5 than my Ikon S3S, irrespective of where you hold it. Just look at the body/blade gap,which is a good indicator. Compared with most razors, the body blade gap on the Futur varies from wide to huge depending on setting. OTOH it does shave closer than any other razor I have used and even a two pass will give you that polished look.
    Wilson
    Gillette S. Adj, Stahly Live Blade, Feather AS-D1, Eclipse RR, and Ikon S3S + others.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN area
    Posts
    73

    Default

    I own a Futur and it's most often the razor I reach for.

    That being said, I do find it aggressive. Mine remains set on 1, but nothing seems to give a closer shave with two passes and touch-ups than the Futur. To give you a reference point, my other razors are mostly slants and OCs. As with all razors, the choice of blade seems to make a difference and I've only used Astra SPs with mine. As I try different combinations of blades with it, I'll try to post the results.
    Of course, YMMV.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    1,478

    Default

    I think it takes a while to get used to the Vision and Futur siblings. Early on, I always got terrible irritation and nicks at anything above 2, but these days, I can crank my Futur up to 6 with little or no irritation (depending on the blade I use) and get a BBS with 2+ passes. I think blade angle is critical, but I also think you need to pay attention to make sure that the entire head is flush to the skin at all times. These are touchy razors, but if you're patient and get used to them, you will be rewarded.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN area
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vocalistbob View Post
    I think it takes a while to get used to the Vision and Futur siblings. Early on, I always got terrible irritation and nicks at anything above 2, but these days, I can crank my Futur up to 6 with little or no irritation (depending on the blade I use) and get a BBS with 2+ passes. I think blade angle is critical, but I also think you need to pay attention to make sure that the entire head is flush to the skin at all times. These are touchy razors, but if you're patient and get used to them, you will be rewarded.
    Thank you for the insight. I'm definitely interested in continuing to improve my shaves with the Futur.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Bourbon Capital of the World
    Posts
    1,991
    Images
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanbarnes View Post
    I understand there's a big love-it-or-hate-it thing with the Futur, but my question is much more specific: is the "1" setting really much more aggressive than any non-adjustable razor? I'd like to start with a **slightly** more aggressive shave and work my way up, not jump right to something that's going to remove hunks of flesh if my attention lapses for a second.

    Any thoughts?
    Yes it is. You could drive a car through the blade gap.
    But it still shaves quite smoothly. I used it on #4 before becoming a Slant lover. I'd like to say it's as close as you can get to a straight razor shave without using a straight razor.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    11,654
    Images
    40

    Default

    Just for the added info:
    One, two! One, two! and through and through...The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    My Vorpal Razors

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    11,654
    Images
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobfarvour View Post
    Yes it is. You could drive a car through the blade gap.
    But it still shaves quite smoothly. I used it on #4 before becoming a Slant lover. I'd like to say it's as close as you can get to a straight razor shave without using a straight razor.

    Is there a difference between "gap" (distance between blade and safety bar) and "exposure" (how much above the safety bar the blade extends)?

    Take a look at the above images. At "1" there certainly is still a big gap, but not alot of exposure of the blade.

    By "6" there is alot of each...
    One, two! One, two! and through and through...The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    My Vorpal Razors

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Long Island. NY. USA
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Oh lordy!!!!! I shaved with my new futur today lathered IP with MdC and it was the best shave of my life. No exaggeration!

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chailey near Lewes in Sussex UK and Tourtour in the Var, Provence, France
    Posts
    100

    Default

    For those who would like a modern adjustable but would find the Futur too aggressive, there is always the Merkur Progress Adjustable, both long and short handle. I had an issue with mine from flaking chrome plate but that may not be typical, even though it has been reported by others. The Progress is much milder than the Futur.

    Wilson
    Gillette S. Adj, Stahly Live Blade, Feather AS-D1, Eclipse RR, and Ikon S3S + others.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN area
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WilsonLaidlaw View Post
    For those who would like a modern adjustable but would find the Futur too aggressive, there is always the Merkur Progress Adjustable, both long and short handle. I had an issue with mine from flaking chrome plate but that may not be typical, even though it has been reported by others. The Progress is much milder than the Futur.

    Wilson
    I've read good things about the Progress and would love to compare it to my Futur. From what I understand, the range of adjustment, from mild to wild, is greater.

Similar Threads

  1. Merkur 38C TOO aggressive?
    By jpmunozz in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-18-2011, 03:03 PM
  2. How aggressive is a 38c Merkur?
    By RandalltheRed in forum General Shaving Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-24-2010, 06:48 PM
  3. FS: Merkur Futur (Matte)/Merkur 38C (Barber Pole)/Merkur 34C (Heavy Duty)
    By shawnmaze in forum Shaving Mall - Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 07:00 PM
  4. Merkur HD: aggressive or not?
    By don.putnick in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-01-2009, 06:31 PM
  5. Aggressive Merkur 12C
    By 2Sharp in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-25-2007, 01:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.