What's new

I nearly Gave Up!

Hi Guys,

I've done about 5 shaves with my vintage str8 now and on the good side, I haven't cut myself BUT, this morning I had a big urge to just put aside the str8 and go for my usual Eclipse Safety. I didn't but it was close..

I know the razor is sharp (it's been professionally honed and I strop after each shave), but I'm not getting a shave as close as the safety also it does drag a little, especially under the nose.

I do really want to master the str8 and will persevere - I know it's just that I need to stop being impatient and 'learn' how to get good results.

I presume everyone goes through this phase?

Encouragement needed :sad:

No cuts? Great work so far!

You will get there, but maybe not until after a re-honing. Stick with what you've got for a while longer. You will continue to enhance your technique. even if you don't notice at first. Your early shaving and stropping may put some extra wear on the blade contributing to more difficult shaves. After a few weeks when you switch to a freshly honed blade you might be surprised how well it goes.

That's when you will realize you really need to learn how to hone to be totally self-sufficient.

Anyway, that was my experience.

Thanks a lot Bob,

I have bought a honing stone. I was going to practise on a cheap Chinese straight that I have - the blade is stainless steel but I presume the technique will be the same?

I'm an engineer by profession and have done grinding and such - so I should be able to pick up honing.

I would be annoyed if I ruined my vintage Kropp or John Watts by bungling the honing.

One of the guys on here very kindly honed the Kropp for me Free Of Charge - I would mention his name but I wouldn't want him to get swamped with requests.

No cuts? Great work so far!

You will get there, but maybe not until after a re-honing. Stick with what you've got for a while longer. You will continue to enhance your technique. even if you don't notice at first. Your early shaving and stropping may put some extra wear on the blade contributing to more difficult shaves. After a few weeks when you switch to a freshly honed blade you might be surprised how well it goes.

That's when you will realize you really need to learn how to hone to be totally self-sufficient.

Anyway, that was my experience.

My early shaves were pretty bad, and about once a week I broke down and took out the old DE just to give my face a break and let it feel clean for a change. That probably lasted a couple months until it was clean enough that it didn't drive me crazy. Still wasn't nearly a good a shave as with the DE, but it kept improving, slowly, almost imperceptably. After another four months of only using the straight, I went back and used the DE and it felt mighty uncomfortable--the blade that is. And the DE head and safety bar felt like this huge, unwieldy, useless hunk of metal. My DE shaves are still better than my straight shaves, but the straight feels so much gentler on my face, and a day later the stubble doesn't look nearly as bad after a straight shave compared to a DE shave.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hang in there and keep at it, it does get much better, and there seems to be a point where improvements happen quicker all of a sudden, at least it was for me.

I had nick free shaves in the beginning, but as I kept on, it seemed that I got worse.
More care and attention made things better, but then I got cocky and flippant and got a few really NASTY cuts that were blamable on nothing but me being stupid.

Then, suddenly it seemed I just started getting better shaves, don't really know why or how it happened, it just happened.

Keep your focus and attention on it whenever the blade is in hand and don't let focus slip, don't give up because it is really self gratifying to stand there and look at yourself, and feel your face and know that you did that yourself with a piece of sharpened steel!

Good Luck.

Just keep trying. If you have not had any cuts, you are doing great. I have been using the over 2 years now and still occasionally get small nicks. You will get there and the honing as suggested above will help you as well. Keep Your chin up and you'll get better and better as time goes by.

Dave,

Don't give up !

It will take a couple of weeks to get dexterous with handling the razor, and then another six weeks or so to reach a good standard of closeness of the shave.

In the initial stages of straight usage you have alot going on - handling of the razor, correct method of stropping, learning the shave and possible the use of both hands - it all takes time to get accustomed and skilled.

When you get there, you wll not regret the effort :001_smile

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Don't worry too much about how difficult it can be here and there or how close the shave is. It takes time and pratice to get a decent shave with a straight.

You will learn what angles and directions are required on certain parts of your face. You will learn how much pressure is needed, and how much you can get away with.
About cuts, I have been wet shaving for about 40 years and I cut myself often.
The most serious cut I have had, in the past year, was not with a straight but with my DE. Got to close to my ear. :redface:

Don't you dare give up, tough it out as the shaves you will eventually get will be more than worth it.

I've just had me a great shave, not the closest but the tidiest irritation free shave of my entire shaving life all it took was time. patience and the correct prep, prep is very important don't ever skimp here a de will let you get away with it a straight will not.

Thanks for all the support and advice guys. I will indeed hang in there and I'm looking forward to the day that it all comes together.

I've also caught a Str8 Acquisition Disorder (alongside my DE RAD) - I've now bought 3 vintage str8s :wink2: One is badly in need of honing, so I'm going to give it a try on the stone I bought earlier.

Best wishes

Dave

Top Bottom