What's new

Astra superior platnum & Iridium...cork?

No, you'll just dull the edge. The Astra may be a little scratchy on the first pass but will be fine thereafter. The Iridium should shave well from the get go.

Just remember that they are sharper blades and adjust your technique accordingly. Recently I tried these blades and the results were not very good:

- Derby - 3 shaves, many cuts without any apparent reason.
- Iridium - 2 shaves, many cuts without any apparent reason AND a bit of razor burn.

I shared my experience with the Iridiums in another thread, and I was able to get another 2 shaves without cuts or razor burn. The only thing I did was apply NO pressure at all. I was getting comfortable with the unbranded Personnas (a very forgiving blade) and applying just a bit of pressure. With the Iridiums, a very light touch simply worked.

Thats what I needed to know gents! I even found with the personas that a light touch was needed. I've heard that both astra and iridium, both, were sharp blades(but not quit as sharp as a feather) and that's what I was hoping to find...but didn't know if corking was needed.

Thanks!

IMHO corking is something that is completely unnecessary... :thumbdown

It is a waste of a blade by 'dulling down', or 'dumbing down' a blade. Just use it for a few more shaves and it will become dull naturally.

I have used both and have found them to be fine. All I did with mine was to hand/palm strop them before use.

My shave last night was with a Parker 89R and an Astra and I got a DFS with them. :thumbup1:

I found the Astras to be rough for me.... If anything is rough, go ahead and give corking a try. I didnt cork them, I just stopped using them :biggrin1:. But most people seem to like them, as always YMMV...

I think of astras as a "poor man's feather" they are very similar, except that astras last longer, cost less, and are a twinge less sharp. I love them in my slant (much as I love feathers in a slant), but in other razors I'm not as big of a fan. if you cork an Astra, you'll just ruin it, IMO. The point is that it's the cheapest of the very sharp end of blades. Corking it makes it less sharp and takes off longevity. You'll get what you're looking for from a corked astra by just buying a redpack IP (still inexpensive with decent longevity, btu smoother and a bit less sharp than an astra), IMO.

My brother was kind enough to send me Iridium blades. I shave with a straight razor most days and sometimes with a double edge. I had used Merkur, Derby, Feather (hand me that styptic pencil, please, after the Feather) mainly... Since using the Iridium I will stop looking for other double edge blades.

I love my straight razors and the shaves I get with them. I have a dozen or so straights. All are good shavers. Some are great shavers. A light touch with the Iridium double edge beats all but my best two straight razors for quality of shave. I wouldn't have believed it, but there it is.

Also, the Iridium stays sharp longer than any double edge I have used. I never cork it. The only down side with the Iridium is the need to scrape off the dots of wax used to wrap them with the paper. These dots scrape off easily; I use the blade I am replacing.

Thanks to my brother, I am hooked on the Iridium and done trying double edge blades.

I think corking is more psychological than anything. Like most things in the wetshaving world, if you think it makes your shave better then it probably will make your shave better.

Yes, Iridiums and Astra SUperior platinum are very sharp blades [at least for some]. But instead of corking wouldn't it be more appropriate to use blades that are not so sharp?

As a confirmed Astra SP user / abuser, i would say there is no need to strop at all and i have used them in: 34C, FT SS, Rocket & Black Tip.

I like the Astras much better than the Iridiums. I have several nicks after shaving with the Iridiums. I do a better job with Feathers and have less nicks.

The Astras are a little scratcy on the first past, but I have very few nicks.

Well, Astra blades are not great for me. The Iridiums on the other hand are great!
I first try Astra blades in the 34C. I had the worst burn since I tried DE shaving. I tried it again, in the R89 razor. I hadn't got any burn, but the Astras didn't feel that sharp.. I will try another one for sure.
But for now, the Iridiums are the best for me!

Top Bottom