What's new

Ok I need some advice

I recently shaved and afterwards my face did not feel good at all. I got some red blotches on my cheeks and some minor discomfort. The razor did not seem to glide across my face like previous shaves. I have been getting good shaves so could it be an old razor, I thought my lather and technique were good.

Will

Could be your blade, dry lather, tons of other things also. Just the ones off the top of my head, would check the blade first.

Going to need a bit more info than that. I tend to change my razor once a week, try that and see if that was the issue.

Will --

What you're describing is a case of razor burn that likely is caused by; 1. Using dull blade that should be swapped for fresh, and/or 2. using an inappropriate blade angle, and/or 3. using excessive pressure on the razor.

In summary; Use a sharp blade that's in its prime. Be sure to prep well. Use short, deliberate, unhurried strokes and a light, minimal, delicate pressure on the razor. The head of the DE is fixed, so you'll have to manually control the blade angle at your face. Use a shallow angle, and be mindful and attentive that you don't gradually and inadvertently transition the razor to a steep angle.

Wet shaving is easily learned with modest effort, but you're learning a lot of different things at the same time. Just be attentive to what you're doing. The practice of daily shaving will get you the results you seek in short order.

Hang in there...

-- John Gehman

i feel like my blade angle has been pretty good lately... It just felt when the razor was on my face it did not glide smoothly across my face like usual. I will try a new blade to see if that is the issue. I have been using the Art of Shaving cream and it has worked well and not too much pressure? What does a dull blade feel like?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
i feel like my blade angle has been pretty good lately... It just felt when the razor was on my face it did not glide smoothly across my face like usual. I will try a new blade to see if that is the issue. I have been using the Art of Shaving cream and it has worked well and not too much pressure? What does a dull blade feel like?

Normally, no pressure at all. Let the razor and blade work.

A dull blade will pull the hair and then cut them. If you have a light pulling sensation, that's it.

How was your prep?

Yeah, I'd agree with Pinaud, 2-3 shaves per blade is about the limit...

There are so many other ideas to suggest.

Try some different soaps/creams, they aren't my favorite because I'm kinda prejudiced toward scent over performance, but Kiss My Face makes excellent products.

Keep the pressure to a minimum you would have thought impossible with a cartridge blade.

Spend some time prior to shaving exploring the various directions your facial hair has decided to grow in. They will probably be absurdly numerous. What seems mild at the top of your cheek can be wildly aggressive by the bottom of your neck. Learn the difference.

Buy an alum block. They are absurdly cheap, last forever, and work well to minimize irritation after a shave. I'm not even starting in on the aftershave debate, there are hundreds of other threads for that.

Hope you find what works for you!

Boomer

Top Bottom