What's new

Some advice please.

Hi gents, if i was to think about buying a straight razor and my only experiance is with a shavette is there any cheapish (dont want to go overboard in case it does not work out) razor that would suit a newbie, even after looking at the bst i dont really know that much about them, any comments would greatly be appriated as at the moment really dont know what to look out for.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
All right, you need 2 things to get ready.

1-Shave ready straight razor
2-Strop

The size doesn't really matter but if you get a 5/8 or 6/8 it would be perfect to start with. Half/Full hollow is also good. Try to get a round point but it won't be dramatic if you don't get everything.

One of the good deals around is the ruprazor filly strop + shave ready straight for $60...

All right, you need 2 things to get ready.

1-Shave ready straight razor
2-Strop

The size doesn't really matter but if you get a 5/8 or 6/8 it would be perfect to start with. Half/Full hollow is also good. Try to get a round point but it won't be dramatic if you don't get everything.

One of the good deals around is the ruprazor filly strop + shave ready straight for $60...

Thanks mate:thumbup1:

Get in touch with Larry Andro of http://www.whippeddog.com. He specializes in setting up budget minded newbies with razors. He will hone any of the razors listed on his site to shave ready condition. $33 is pretty hard to beat.

Buy a Philly Strop ($20 shipped), or a Illinois strop, and you can be all set for about $50. I got a Bismark/Illinois strop off the bay for $21 shipped. It's a pretty nice strop having both linen, and leather sides.

Top Bottom