What's new

Can it be saved?

I have had my straight for a couple for weeks now and I think Ive made a pretty big mistake.

I went to shave last night and noticed that my edge is a LOT duller than it was when I got it. After re-reading stropping techniques I realized I have messed up big time. I have not been keeping the spine on the strop and I have been applying pressure, lots of it! I can still shave with the blade, but its far more uncomfortable and isn't doing any where near as good of a job. Is this something I can possibly fix with lots of proper stropping or is this something that's going to require that I get it re-honed? (I haven't the slightest idea how to do that myself yet)

I did get the filly strop, so it does have the green chromium oxide paste on the back, can I use it to bring it back to the amazing edge it once had? I don't know if it makes any difference but I have the Dovo 5/8 special imitation tortoise.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Without seeing it and holding it, I would say, don't waste any time and sent it to a honemeister.

You might be able to get the edge back but I would make sure that I re-start with a proper edge if I correct my stropping.

Without seeing it and holding it, I would say, don't waste any time and sent it to a honemeister.

You might be able to get the edge back but I would make sure that I re-start with a proper edge if I correct my stropping.

Is there any way to test if it can be saved?

Top Bottom