What's new

Missouri Votes To Secede From The Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Missouri would assert its sovereignty and reject various federal policies under a proposed constitutional amendment given preliminary approval by the state House Wednesday." -Article

I'm not a political person at all but this is potentially life changing as it is essentially a vote to leave the union.

I believe the vote has to do with interpretation of the 10th Amendment to the US Constitution, rather than secession from the Union.

secession from the union means the government can pull everything from them. federal funding, policing, etc can be taken away and the state would come crawling back anyway.

on another note...its missouri...who cares?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Didn't they try that about a hundred and fifty years ago?

How did that work out for them? :lol:

Didn't they try that about a hundred and fifty years ago?

How did that work out for them? :lol:

Damn yankees and your ignorance of the civil war...

Missouri was one of several slave states (along with Kentucky, what would become West Virginia, Delaware, and Maryland) that did not secede during the Civil War. However, like many of those states a large number of citizens fought on both sides of the war. Many major Civil War battles featured regiments of Missouri soldiers on both sides.

Anyway, the thing posted by the OP is little more than fluff. It is most definitely not secession.

Aside from poutine, the biggest thing we've got going for us is Hydroelectric power. So much that we sell surplus to the Maritimes and New York.

I'm rather fond of being Canadian. Although we're about on schedule for the separatists to start making a stink again. '80 and '95, so '10 makes sense...

All I'm sayin, is if I was in charge and a state tried this, I would send in some troops. I would of course also rule with an iron fist and crush any dissent, so its a good thing I'm not in-charge.

I believe that there are a lot of states that feel that the federal government has gone beyond what is allowed in the Constitution and have made steps to reinforce their sovereignty. How anyone could conclude from the linked article that Missouri is voting to succeed from the United States is a bit puzzling.

Last edited:
Aside from poutine, the biggest thing we've got going for us is Hydroelectric power. So much that we sell surplus to the Maritimes and New York.

I'm rather fond of being Canadian. Although we're about on schedule for the separatists to start making a stink again. '80 and '95, so '10 makes sense...

Don't forget about Canada's only original dish, tortiere, also from Quebec. Also great looking women and unique civil service jobs in the Office Québécois de la Langue Française.
I was born and raised in Montreal and still love the place. If Quebec separates from Canada, they should let Montreal separate from Quebec.

- Peter

"Missouri would assert its sovereignty and reject various federal policies under a proposed constitutional amendment given preliminary approval by the state House Wednesday."

Yeah, apparently some of those unacceptable "federal policies" Missouri wants to rescind include the Civil Rights Acts of the 1960s and those pesky amendments outlawing slavery, women's suffrage, voter discrimination and the separation of church and state. Show me the 1840's!

:001_rolle

Jeff in Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom