What's new

Work Boot Help (Mill Operators?)

I'm hoping someone here can help me find a decent boot that will last. I have been following work boot related threads but haven't seen any that addressed this problem.

As you can see in the photo, the boots have cracked all the way through to the foot bed. They are Red Wing boots less than a year old. I've had the same issue with Wolverine Dura-Shocks in the past and wonder if exposure to the coolant we use in my machine (some always drips to the floor from completed parts etc.) could cause this. We keep our rubber floor mats off to the side since the coolant just makes them so gummy.

Finally, I wondered if anyone could recommend boots that don't crack like this.

proxy.php

I ,also was going to recommend Red Wing boots. I have the 2260 model that has been great for me. But I see that's not the case here

do you press on a pedal with your toe? some of the crusty bike messengers used to ride in redwings or combat boots, their boots allways looked like that after about 4 months.

do you press on a pedal with your toe? some of the crusty bike messengers used to ride in redwings or combat boots, their boots allways looked like that after about 4 months.

No, just the average amount of stooping and such. I'm thinking of looking for harder soles

I wear the Timberland Pit Boss in steel toe. You can view them on zappos.com They're comfortable and well built. I previously had a pair of Wolverines that I wore for about 6 years. I really liked them, but I feel the quality of the Timberland's are much better. I picked mine up for around 90 bucks on sale.

Also, they get great reviews on Zappos.

proxy.php

Try a pair of good old Lancashire clogs. Still used where there are a lot of chemicals and heat about.

Gareth

I suggest White/Hathorne. They are made over in Oregon by hand. They are mainly logger boots, but I got a pair with regular soles instead of the higher heel. They take a bit to break in, but once that is done they are molded to your foot.

My I recommend some fantastic boots from our Aussie friends.

Redbacks

Ever so comfortable, steel toes if you wish, and the soles are chemical resistant.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Get yourself a catalog from a safety shoe company, like Lehigh. They all offer shoes that are more chemical resistant than others. For the environment you are working in, you need special soles, so the coolants cannot attack the soles. I don't think that any other safety shoe will be resisting that coolant if the soles are not specially marked as chemical/oil resistant. I have a pair of Florsheim safety shoes and their soles are chemical/coolant resistant.

I previously had a pair of Wolverines that I wore for about 6 years. I really liked them, but I feel the quality of the Timberland's are much better. I picked mine up for around 90 bucks on sale.

Also, they get great reviews on Zappos.

Of course, with a name like Wolverine, they were probably doomed from the start.:lol:

Thanks all for the help so far. I'm off to the local workboot store, tractor supply, etc. once I finish my tea.

Just back from town, tried Chippewa (too narrow even in wide) and the Redback (same there). I ended up going For the Danner GTX. These things look like serious boots.

Looking at what I've sunk into brushes, I decided to stop being such a cheap SOB:001_rolle

I have had many pairs of work boots through my life. I prefer wellington style boots best, but have has many lace ups. The best boot compnay I have found is Georgia Boot Company. I have had, Chippewas, Red Wings, Ariat (second favorite), Wolverine, Lacrosse, Russle and Justin. To date, none of them matched the quality and longevity of my GA boots. Here is a link to the pair I currently own. I couldn't find any in NY, and I love their boots enough I paid my boot buy in Moultrie to drop ship me a pair. I used a similar pair before I got these and I was in the pressure washing and landscape business.
http://www.georgiaboot.com/products...ia-Side-Zip-Wellington-Waterproof-Work-Boots/

Doc Marten's makes some workboots that might be good for that type of exposure. A few of the mechanics I used to work with loved them. I'm pretty sure these are the ones.

I know that the Danner Boots use the Vibram sole and they hold up for a long, long time.

Just a suggestion but Danner Boots are made in the USA and feature the stitch down soles which can be replaced. Danner factory also offers boot rebuilding for all of their boots and the quality is great. Boots for work in law enforcement, military, construction as well as boots for all outdoor activities.

Here is a link to thieir site. I have a couple of pairs that serve me well.

http://www.danner.com/category/boots.do#/?

Last edited:
I have had great luck with Dr. Martins steel toe shoes and the boots pictured above. I was a Supervisor in a large machine shop, so my shoes were exposed to coolant, chips etc. Then went to a fabrication area walking on hot slag and the like, I never wore a pair of soles out. I would also recommend the Dr Martin insoles which I changed every 6 months or so, I let my joints tell me when it was new insole time.

Top Bottom