What's new

Old type - Made in Canada VS Made in USA

HI,

Apart from their origin, is there any difference between them in the way they shave?

I just picked up an old type, and it's the first one I have come across that was canadian.

To my eye, the teeth appear to be finer. I dont have one here to compare, however.

Thoughts?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Only in Canada you say . . . pity. (from a famous Red Tea commercial . . . famous in Canada only I guess)

Ok you caught my attention . . . I'd love to shave with a razor that originated in Canada.

Hmm, actually, thanks to my OTAD (Old Type AD) I realised I did have a USA made one here.

The teeth are thinner, and consequently slightly further apart. This, correct me if I'm wrong, would make for a more aggressive shave?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I don't have an open comb razor but I think the idea behind them is that if you have a bit of beard growth that the open comb allows the beard to reach the blade more easily and then be cut rather than being pressed down by the bar on a regular razor and having the blade miss the beard. I hope that kinda sorta makes sense.

My Canadian Gillette Old Type (1917-1921)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Mine has the Gillette Logo and the Made in (country) stamps switched around from the American and aparently also Canadian version. I had thought the canadian ones all had it switched around, but looking at the pics now... apparently not. Also, I am not sure If its just mine or what, but mine has a thinner handle than any old type I have seen, and there is no knurling on the ball at the end... Anyways, I still have no Idea why mine is different... But pics are always nice.

proxy.php

American:
proxy.php

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You are now missing a made in England old type!

I was glad to see this post. I too have a canadian old type with that odd thin handle. It can actually stand up on the ball as the bottom is right flat. I was wondering actually if it was perhaps a frankenrazor as I had never seen another, well now I have!! Thank you!! The coincidence is not likely that it would be with the exact same head as I have, so I am now confident it is a legitimate - and might I now add - rare - Gillette Canadian razor.

:drool:

I was glad to see this post. I too have a canadian old type with that odd thin handle. It can actually stand up on the ball as the bottom is right flat. I was wondering actually if it was perhaps a frankenrazor as I had never seen another, well now I have!! Thank you!! The coincidence is not likely that it would be with the exact same head as I have, so I am now confident it is a legitimate - and might I now add - rare - Gillette Canadian razor.

:drool:

Sweet! :thumbup1:

Perhaps we could form some sort of "have you seen this razor" club? Sort of like where's Waldo... I too would like some information on this, and the very knowledgeable gents here didn't know too much about it, other than it does indeed appear to be rare. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=126292

Last edited:
Top Bottom