What's new

Advice on becoming a city police officer

Hello all. I was hoping that I could solicit some advice on applying for the job of a city police officer. I’ll apologize in advance for the length of this post but wanted to give some personal background info.

I’m 34 years old, hold a BS degree in biology and worked from ’98 – ’08 at a desk job for a pharmaceutical company. For the last 16 months I’ve been employed by a Christian missions’ organization and have lived in Mexico City learning Spanish and working as a missionary with children. However, the last year has taught my wife, our four-year old son and I that we should not remain in Mexico City. Our family is “existing” here but not thriving. This is a tough place to work/raise a family and for various reasons we’ve decided to return to the States. (I’ve always believed that the health of one’s family should come before your vocation and this is a large factor in our impending return to the US.)

Currently, I’ve been considering applying for a police officer position once returning. Back in my college days I volunteered with a local fire department and had fairly regular interaction with LEOs. I feel that I received a small picture of a police officer’s duties then. I have friends working for similar sized departments (city population of just under 500,000) and know their accounts of what this job entails. I’m confident that my background checks will not pose any roadblocks nor will passing the physical tests. Additionally, I’m comfortable with the salary that officers in my area receive.

My main question is: what should I expect (pros, cons, etc.) in considering this occupation? I really want to be in a position where I can (forgive the cliché) “serve people”, work with colleagues that have a deeper commitment to one another than what I’ve previously encountered and NOT return to an office/desk job.

Thank you gentlemen for your advice.

Do you mean a city police officer in Mexico or here in the U.S.? If in Mexico, don't do it. It's a big Bull's Eye on your back. Drug Cartels rule Mexico.

My main question is: what should I expect (pros, cons, etc.) in considering this occupation? I really want to be in a position where I can (forgive the cliché) “serve people”, work with colleagues that have a deeper commitment to one another than what I’ve previously encountered and NOT return to an office/desk job.

Well, I hope some fellow LEO toss in some input. (I've typed and deleted this like 6 times already :blink:)

In this line of work, you can't expect anything. Its hard to tell someone about this line of work, because so many things go unseen. For every five minutes of "fun" there are five hours of paper work.

If you like long days, long nights, long weeks...and you enjoy helping people, then give it a shot. I'd recommend talking to someone about a ride along or reserve program to get your feet wet.

My FTO told me, "We don't rub elbows with high class snooty people, we get dirty with the scum of society." After nine years of this career, it is one of the constant variables.

I say, go for it. You'll never know unless you try. Just remember, at the start of the shift, you and your fellow officers go home.

I work as a 911 dispatcher(applying to be a cop too) so I get to see what/who the officers deal with every day. Two words Job Security. :bored:...But yes pretty much everything they do, a report is done.

Overall seems like a pretty good gig. Great health insurance!

I'm retired from Federal law Enforcement. Police work ain't for everybody. It's one of those things you can't really fit into. Most of it is dull boring work but has the potential to suddenly change into a stressful terrifying experience and you must accept the possibility one day you may not get to go home.

i think it depends on a lot of variables. I have an M.S. in criminal justice and have never once thought of becoming a police officer. My reasoning was due to a few things - 1. money. Here in Richmond, Va. a rookie 1st year gets about 36k per year. I make that working my helpdesk job I am currently contracted at.
2. Homicide rates. - Richmond is declining on the list of top murder cities but its still there. Shootings...I am not a fan of getting shot.
3. Family time - If I were to take the job I may be working nights while SWMBO works days...so when do I get to spend time with her? An hour here or there?

The other reasons were mainly financially related. I really think officers are ridiculously underpaid for what kind of crap they have to deal with daily.
If I were you - I would look into a fed job instead. Pay, benefits, various locations. Lots of pros over cons.

Going federal is actually in my plans once I have some money for the certifications I need...hence why I work this crappy helpdesk job. They are willing to pay for certs once/if I get hired on come september. Then I take a few certs and apply for much better and higher paying jobs.

I am a fire fighters daughter so this may not apply but I think it may.

Growing up with a Dad in that occupation, the 'job' doesn't always end with your shift time. Being involved personally with human trauma can affect both you and your family. Sometimes it can't be 'turned off'.

The little kid you try desperately to save found unconcious hiding under a bed in his fully engulfed house, dies at the hospital.

The broken teen trapped in his burning car's gas tank explodes before you get him out with the jaws? You know his parents.

You know the baby you are trying to resussitate with the screaming Mom present is already dead.

Do you and also your family want to deal with that? If you do, I'd say go for it.
Sue

Firefighting and Police work have more than their share of heartbreak, but an equal share of pride, and satisfaction. If you really want to be a Police Officer, the two big Department on Long Island (Nassau County & Suffolk County) are among the highest paid in the country, with suburban rather than urban crime problems. Another great PD, is the Port Authority of NY & NJ. They cover all of the Metropolitan NY airports (including aircraft ff & rescue) plus the bridges and tunnels. A very well paid Department as well, plus you have full police powers in both New York and New Jersey.

depending on where you live, there may not be much job security, especially with a lot of major cities facing budget cuts. the Minneapolis police department recently laid off quite a few officers from the force and the most recent graduating class weren't able to get jobs from what I understand.

Do you mean a city police officer in Mexico or here in the U.S.?

Stateside to be sure. Living south of the boarder is one thing but when you're told that out of every 10 criminals in Mexico, 6 of them are police officers... not my gig at all.

I appreciate the different food for thought... certainly a lot to consider.

Regarding the decision to seek a position as a federal LEO, it is also something under consideration. It's a little uncanny how I've known more than a few former ministry professionals successfully make a career change to federal law enforcement.

Last edited:
I thought I wanted to be a medic since I was 16, it took me 3 months on the job to realize that people don't deserve to be saved.

Go for it you won't ever know untill you try.

I thought I wanted to be a medic since I was 16, it took me 3 months on the job to realize that people don't deserve to be saved.

Go for it you won't ever know untill you try.

Seems like a pretty stupid statement to me. Just because you had to bandage up some dude who was stabbed by his wife after trying to rape her etc. (figuratively saying), doesn't mean that there aren't people deserving of help etc. Seems to me you should have never have been thinking of that line of work in the first place.

Your story is much like what I am currently going thru and sharing with the good folks on this site. I am a 43 year old State Govt desk-riding paperpusher who has grown very tired of the apathy and lack of work ethic I am surrounded by daily. For 10 years, my wife worked at our State firearms and driver training facility where police officers are commissioned. Most of the instructors she worked with were retired leos and I got to know several of them over time. The thing that always struck me about them is that, even though they had retired from a conglomeration of different local, State and even Fed depts, there was a comraderie and committment that I have never experienced elsewhere.

In early March (at 43 years old) I took the written entrance exam to MDTAP and two weeks later passed the physical agility test. I am currently awaiting my oral boards. I am no longer a spring chicken, but I am hoping my life experience and gov't service will counterbalance my age.

I do agree that there are an awful lot of people out there not worth the effort...but there are also many more who are....and who NEED the effort that leos give. I hope to be able to get that chance...and, if its what you want, I hope you do also. Good luck...and keep us posted!

Another thing to consider if you are married and have children, because of irregular work schedules you are always missing out on family events and important milestones and many women eventually tire of that. Police Officers have one of the highest divorce rates and because of work hours once again you often eat on the run and eat bad things and police officers suffer from alot of health issues later on. Many don't get to enjoy their early retirements. They die pretty young.

Many don't get to enjoy their early retirements. They die pretty young.

My grandfather died on the job 30 days short of retirement. The paperwork was all turned in, Had a heart attack sitting in his patrol car in the garage after dispatching his shift.

Seems like a pretty stupid statement to me. Just because you had to bandage up some dude who was stabbed by his wife after trying to rape her etc. (figuratively saying), doesn't mean that there aren't people deserving of help etc. Seems to me you should have never have been thinking of that line of work in the first place.

It was more then one thing and of course getting stabbed by some youth trying to rob morphine from us was the tipping point but your right, its not what I should do. I just don't care about other people enough, so I got a job in fashion.

IMO we need more honest law enforcement people (not that there are none out there now). I think it takes work to keep your optimism and integrity as LEO, but it is important -- people who don't just follow orders but follow the right order and do what is right regardless of the consequences. Like Dirty Harry. We need more Dirty Harry's.

Top Bottom