What's new

Recommend 2nd razor

So here's the deal. I have been shaving with a Merkur 34C for around 3 years. I have been using a straight for a few months and discovered it's just not for me. I like certain aspects but dislike others. One of the things that I have noticed about the straight is that I get less irritation than I do with my HD. I assume this is due to the fact that the comb of the HD tends to wipe the lather off before my blade gets to it. I was looking for recommendations for a new DE that may act more like a straight. Would an open comb be better, or an adjustable. Keep in mind, I don't necessarily want more aggressive.
Thanks in advance.

I used the 34c starting out and switching to an open comb done wonders. I dont think you can go wrong with a gillette NEW, new deluxe..standard. Any of those I think will be a step up as far as a close shave with less irritation than the Merkur

Asking for 'either/or' advice on this forum almost always results in a response of get 'both/and.' I can't recommend any DEs that shave like a straight as I've never used a straight. But trying both an adjustable and an open comb would probably be a good idea. They definitely provide very different shaves and it is tough to say which would work better for you. Adjustables are nice because you can experiment to find the right blade exposure for how you shave. And open combs are not nearly as scary as they appear and they can be wonderful shaves. For an open comb, I would recommend either an American Button Company razor, a Single Ring, or an Old Type (in that order). The ABCs are wonderfully balanced with a good heft and a super nimble head. For an adjustable, both the Fat Boy and the Slim are great razors. You can't go wrong with either, but the Slim won't cost you as much.

If the 34C leaves you a bit worked up, you may wish to try something like a Tech or Flair Tip 50's Super Speed.
They are rather affordable to test and many love the results.

Top Bottom