What's new

All things shaving in Atlanta, Georgia

Hello Gentlemen,

I will be in Atlanta, Georgia, for the first time in my life next week and would appreciate any advice related to shaving supply shops, an excellent straight razor shave barber, or just plain old good places to eat.

Best regards from the frozen north.

I'm about two hours south of Atlanta in Middle Georgia and I would suggest --- what the heck, I'd like to know too! :biggrin1: I haven't a clue of any great brick-and-mortar shops in the Southeast

Well we've got Hooters, the Cheetah, and a new Pink Pony. Seriously, if you like steaks I recommend Bones in Buckhead......and try to catch a Braves game while you're here!!

Well we've got Hooters, the Cheetah, and a new Pink Pony. Seriously, if you like steaks I recommend Bones in Buckhead......and try to catch a Braves game while you're here!!

You're ramblin-wreck and you didn't recommend The Varsity? My goodness. But do go see the Braves while they're on a roll! :thumbup: 16-5 over the Cubs on opening day. 1-0-0, will it last? You can get a hot there, but bring a couple of credit cards!

You're ramblin-wreck and you didn't recommend The Varsity? My goodness. But do go see the Braves while they're on a roll! :thumbup: 16-5 over the Cubs on opening day. 1-0-0, will it last? You can get a hot there, but bring a couple of credit cards!

We Varsity locals hate yankees and try to keep them away from our "spot"!!:biggrin1: Yeah I'm pretty happy with opening day except for Lowe's performance but hey who cares, we've got Heyward!!!

Bones is good, but I like NY Prime better for a big steak. If soul food is your thing, Gladys and Ron's Chicken and Waffles is a must visit. If you watch Man vs. Food on the Travel Channel, Adam made a stop there.

No good shave shops that I know of - there's an AOS, L'Occitane stores, stuff like that but nothing that isn't in any big city.

With regards to food - what part of town will you be in and what kind of food do you want? Atlanta's a big sprawling place and I don't want to suggest places that would take you an hour to drive to.

One thing I will recommend, if you happen to be a beer geek:

http://www.brickstorepub.com/

One of the best beer spots in the US. If you go, walk up the stairs and turn to your left and you'll be in the Belgian room. Amazing.

I'll be out at Lithia Springs, but I'll have a rental car and the evenings should be mine after 4pm.

That said, I'll drive a couple of hours for a good meal. It may be my only chance to sample some real southern cooking and take in the sights.

I have also added on a couple of free days on the end of the week for pleasure and was thinking of heading up into South Carolina.

I can sleep later... in the grave.

:scared:

I don't know of any shaving supply shops other than AOS, but when it comes to really good southern food Nesbitt is right about Glady's. Some of the best Fried Chicken I have had and their sides are killer.

What is up with all the Yellow Jackets on here?!? Nice ACC Title, but the State title is back where it belongs...In Athens.

It's been a few years, but I was a Gold Club and Tattletales guy :001_wub:
Good thing I can't remember how much coin I dropped back then :ohmy:

Yeah the Gold Club shut down a few years back when some notable athletes got caught in there. Or so I've been told.......I've never actually been to any place like that. My beautiful bride is the only woman I want to see in the buff:wink1:

Gentleman of the Metro Atlanta area. Go to jonpauls.com they sell truefitt & hill that is where I bought my 1805 and PSO. They do Tonsorial service. They sell straight razor and brushes and do shaves and haircuts and massages and are very nice neat and clean place. I have to go and get my T&H Rose this weekend. Check out the website. You guys are in for a treat. I should have posted the experience by now. The place is a brick and mortar. Tell them Chevine sent you. If the ladies at the counter look at you funny tell them the guy who called on accident and then came and bought something. That will jog there memory cause its what really happened.

Looks like visits to The Varsity, Gladys and Ron's Chicken and Waffles, and johnpaul's would cover quite an Atlanta spectrum.

------------------------------------------
Michael - A UGA grad after all

Lithia Springs isn't too far from the best barbecue in Georgia, and the third best ribs I've ever had -- maybe the second best.

BBQ1
4944 Lower Roswell Road in Marietta.

Lot's of great places to eat in Atlanta. For old school southern that's not very expensive I'll recommend:

http://www.colonnadeatl.com/

http://www.matthewscafeteria.com/

Both are quirky, inexpensive places that have been featured on food network.

For more upscale but southern influenced:

http://www.wisteria-atlanta.com/

http://www.watershedrestaurant.com/

None of these are particularly close to Lithia Springs, I'm afraid. If you're a wine geek, Watershed has a very good wine list.

And, Go Jackets!, by the way :001_tt2:

Some of my favorites:

• Swallow at the Hollow BBQ in Alpharetta (Maybe it's in Roswell?? can't quite remeber)
  • If you like a good Pale Ale (it's best on tap vs. Bottle) have some Sweertwater 420, brewed in ATL
  • Braves Game
  • Blue Ridge Grill on Northside Drive
  • Chicken form the Big Chicken,,, Well not really, it's just a KFC, but I like to say "Big Chicken"
  • 5 Seasons Brewery in Sandy Springs

Forget Chops, Bones, all those steak places. You can get a good steak anywhere. Go for the stuff you can't get at home.

Fellini's Pizza tosses a great pie.
The Flying Biscuit. It's tiny, but the biscuits are huge and the grits can't be beat.
The Sundial. It sits atop the Peachtree Westin hotel, the big circular building downtown. It spins around slowly giving you a great view of the city.

Top Bottom