What's new

No Yolk Egg Salad?

We have a ton of hard boiled eggs left from Easter. I'm thinking of turning them into egg salad. Anybody have a good recipe for a no-yolk, lower fat version before I just say the heck with it and start shoveling in the mayo?

Whites only is pretty rough, use 1/3 with the yolks and substitute some EVOO for Mayo or make your own Mayo with OO. Fresh ground pepper and some Melinda's hot sauce help.

Yeah, I don't know how I'm going to get around that. I remember reading something once that you could substitute a mashed banana for mayo in tuna salad and it tasted great. I gave it a try and it was revolting. Better to do without.

Anyway, after a morning of soul searching, I'm going to make salad Nicoise for dinner--that should use up a couple of the hard boiled eggs. Then tomorrow I guess that I'll sink them in some curry.

Anyway, after a morning of soul searching, I'm going to make salad Nicoise for dinner--that should use up a couple of the hard boiled eggs. Then tomorrow I guess that I'll sink them in some curry.

Nicoise salad - now that is a good way to burn a couple of eggs. I've had two Nicoise salads since Easter.

You might also consider Veganaise for a lower fat alternative. Of all of the vegetarian/vegan replacement items Veganaise really is one of the best. I actually prefer Veganaise over stock grade mayo.

Yeah, I don't know how I'm going to get around that. I remember reading something once that you could substitute a mashed banana for mayo in tuna salad and it tasted great. I gave it a try and it was revolting. Better to do without.

:scared:
Sounds like a nightmare.

That sounds revolting. Banana and canned Tuna? :blink:

Yeah. Banana and canned tuna. Now that you've heard it, do your best to forget it. I've already taken one for the team with that one.

Well, I took the path of least resistance. I picked my daughter up after school, we went to the local Mediterranean Deli and deferred dealing with the eggs until tomorrow.

Combine a couple of tsp of yellow mustard with some mayo. It adds some of that yolk taste but with only 3 calories per tsp of yellow mustard. It's a bit high in the sodium - 57 mg per tsp.

California Egg Salad:

• 12 hard boiled eggs, peeled

• 1/2 cup mayonnaise

• 2 Tbsp. minced sundried tomatoes in oil

• 3 teaspoons Colman's Dry Mustard

• 3 teaspoons sherry or white wine vinegar

• 2 teaspoon minced drained capers

• 2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley

• 1 teaspoon salt

Finely chop eggs. Stir mayonnaise with remaining ingredients in medium bowl. Stir in eggs.

Top Bottom