What's new

What the heck is wet shaving?

No, I'm not joking. Prompted by the "is wet shaving in decline or growing" thread, is there a "generally accepted" definition of wet shaving? Some might claim there's electric shaving and there's wet shaving (regardless of blade type). At the other extreme some might claim wet shaving is shaving with a single blade (SE, DE, straight). Whaddaya all think?

I think of wet shaving as being any thing with a brush and soap or brush and cream regardless of the type razor whether being straight, se, de, injector, cartridge etc..

Well I guess it's very subjective... but logically it would be the act of shaving with water. I guess even if it's an electric razor?:glare: ... Haha

I think of wet shaving as being any thing with a brush and soap or brush and cream regardless of the type razor whether being straight, se, de, injector, cartridge etc..

+1

Wet shaving requires more water than if you just splashed a handful or two on your face and slathered on some goo which you can(though not reccomended) do on a dry face as well.

For me, the pardigm shift was to DE or SR. I shaved for 20+ years with a brush and soap without ever once thinking of it as "wet-shaving". This may not be technicaly correct, but for me wet-shaving is an enjoyable experience. Whatever it was I was doing with cartridges was not enjoyable, call it what you will.

I agree 100% with nictthewesde, the soap, cream, brush, and hot water for a good prep and smooth shave is what it's about. The good old fashion basics like dad and grandad with a little modern mixed in.

Many will offer their opinions but perhaps the Wiki can give the simplest and most definitive answer:

What is wet shaving?

Wet shaving at its simplest, is just that – shaving with water, a razor blade, and some sort of lubricant (lather, soap, etc.) on your face. Men have shaved this way for centuries, starting early on with a sharp knife or stone, progressing to the straight razor, safety (double-edge) razors, and eventually cartridge razors from companies like Gillette, etc.

I've always defined it as a shave involving water. That, unfortunately, also includes cans of goo and cartridge razors. It's wet shaving, but I much prefer a brush, hard soap and a DE razor.

I would say any shaving that involves building a lather with water (soap or cream). With the 'goo-can' stuff you don't need any water, same with electric; unless you have one of those new wet/dry electrics... ok, now I'm confused too:blink:

Wetshaving does not require a brush and soap, or a brush at all.

I started shaving with what we called a safety razor back in the day. I did not use brush and soap. Instead, I used the canned goo.

I think the safety razor is called DE around here. Though I get confused sometimes myself. Oftentimes. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom