What's new

Newbie using Dovo Shavette and Dovo Best

All,

I shave well with a Dovo Shavette with the half double edged blade. Good news.

I purchased a Dovo 5/8 hollow ground best quality blade. I also purchased a strop and later Norton 4,000/8,000 stones.
Out of the box the Dovo pretty much was dull. I applied stoning techniques according to Mr. Abrams youtube advice: 3/3 1/3 1/5 with 4000/8000 grit.
I have sharpened knives for years and have seen everything on youtube. I have applied the basic honing to the blade several times. I strop 20-40 times. I am careful to keep the strop tight, etc. etc.

The Dovo seems to work pretty well but appears to run out of steam and becomes dull (compared to the shavette razor blade).

Given that you can't actually see my mistakes, can I assume that a properly prepared steel blade compares with a Dovo Shavette?

Finally, as a new member of this forum it is my solemn duty to throw money at my inexperience. I ordered a Dovo from Lynn Abrams site, pre honed, as a data point.

Totally finally, I find I am trying to throw money at I problem I never had... shaving. I am hooked.

Best Regards,

John

Welcome to Badger and Blade.

I am a straight razor newbie myself, and it is a little addictive.

I am having a ton of fun learning this new method of shaving.

I would have to think, that the root cause of your issues with the Dovo straight is that you efforts to hone it have not been sufficient. As I understand it, honing a straight is different than honing a regular knife.

Good idea to get a straight honed from Lynn as a baseline. An expensive option, but I guess you are fully committed to this adventure now.

These are my opinions, so take them as such.

A new shaver will not have great shaving technique. This can make even a shave ready blade seem like it is dull, because it will affect the quality of the shave. Honing straight razors is nothing like honing knives or other tools. But, even if you did create a good edge, it could be impossible to tell because of what I mentioned above. I think you are best off removing the "is the blade sharp" variable and using only blades honed by reputable honers (such as the incoming blade from Lynn), and put off your quest to learn to hone until you can get great shaves with a blade that is known to be sharp.

Also, a shavette will never feel like a straight razor - they are two completely different animals.

With everything related to straight razors, there is a learning curve. Trying to climb more than one curve at once makes things much more difficult and potentially extremely frustrating.

A new shaver will not have great shaving technique. This can make even a shave ready blade seem like it is dull, because it will affect the quality of the shave.

To test the sharpness of my razor, i have been shaving my arm hair on my bicep area. It is easy to get the proper angle and takes the technique factor out of the equation. It seems to work pretty well, however my arm hair is nowhere near as stiff as facial hair so it only gives you a relative baseline. The other drawback is that you need to make sure the area shaved will be properly covered by a short sleeve shirt.

To test the sharpness of my razor, i have been shaving my arm hair on my bicep area. It is easy to get the proper angle and takes the technique factor out of the equation. It seems to work pretty well, however my arm hair is nowhere near as stiff as facial hair so it only gives you a relative baseline. The other drawback is that you need to make sure the area shaved will be properly covered by a short sleeve shirt.

Shaving arm hair can be a good test, but it must be calibrated by the individual. As you noted, arm hair is much different from facial hair. The skin is also very different, and that is a key factor.

this may not be the most accurate advice as i infact do not own a 4/8k hone (let lynn put the edge on mine), however it is my understanding you are not going to have just the best edge coming off an 8k. I think the general advice here is to use a finishing hone to get the edge to a finer and sharper state.

touch my blade up on a 12k every few months. hope the advice was of some use and at least semi accurate.

John, a lot of it is technique. Honestly honing should be the last thing you are thinking of and an Norton 8K is not the stone to finish on. Its good you are getting a shave ready straight and may I suggest sending your current one to one of the honemeisters on this forum to make it shave ready. Focus on technique, take it slow, and don't get frustrated.

Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I have hedged my bets here and have bought a razor which has been honed. Should come in this week. i will send the Dovo I have and get it honed professionallly. I will put the stone away (for awhile).

John

Top Bottom