What's new

Start Straight Razor

Hey guys,

Im a recent DE believer. I am very curious to the world or straight razors. Can you guys recommend me a decent straight to try out as my first? $$$ is not something we have alot of, so affordable and good quality. What do you suggest? What else would I need? Hone? Strop?

I suggest Ruprazor for one of his Filly strops. 'bout $20 delivered. I'm still using mine - don't really see a need to get a "fancy" one.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
A shave ready razor from BST should be perfect. You don't need a hone as the razor will be shave ready. You can have someone honing it for now but learning how to shave will be enough.

A strop is a must to maintain the edge.

Hey guys,

Im a recent DE believer. I am very curious to the world or straight razors. Can you guys recommend me a decent straight to try out as my first? $$$ is not something we have alot of, so affordable and good quality. What do you suggest? What else would I need? Hone? Strop?

All you really need, is a shave ready razor, and a strop. Since your budget minded, I would get in touch with Larry Andro of http://www.whippeddog.com.

He specializes in getting straight razor newbies started with quality items on a budget. You can get a shave ready razor from him for $33 shipped, and he sells a "poor man's strop kit" as well.

I am sending you a PM. :thumbup:

All you really need, is a shave ready razor, and a strop. Since your budget minded, I would get in touch with Larry Andro of http://www.whippeddog.com.

He specializes in getting straight razor newbies started with quality items on a budget. You can get a shave ready razor from him for $33 shipped, and he sells a "poor man's strop kit" as well.

What he said + 1, I´m very happy with my Sterling I got from Larry ... And you can´t bet the price :biggrin1:

IMHO; the answer lies in the quoted post.

Add a Filly strop from ruprazor.com ( $20 shipped) & you are set for a year or more, since the Filly is prepped with CrOx, a great way to do touch-ups when Larry's original (supreme!) edge starts to dull a bit.

IMHO; the answer lies in the quoted post.

Add a Filly strop from ruprazor.com ( $20 shipped) & you are set for a year or more, since the Filly is prepped with CrOx, a great way to do touch-ups when Larry's original (supreme!) edge starts to dull a bit.

I have an extra straight razor, and strop that I purchased from Larry that I no longer need, so the O.P. is getting hooked up. :thumbup:

I had a 5/8 Le Grelot w/ custom scales, and a french point. I wanted a round point, so I purchased a 5/8 round point of unknown manufacture from Larry. Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a 5/8 round point Boker King Cutter, with horn scales, making the razor from Larry surplus. :drool:

I only shaved with the razor from Larry about 4 times, so it should still be in shave ready status, and plenty sharp.

Last edited:
Hey Michiganlover,

Looks like you are picking up some nice blades. I've always wanted a Boker King Cutter. One of these days. :drool:

I have an extra straight razor, and strop that I purchased from Larry that I no longer need, so the O.P. is getting hooked up. :thumbup:

I had a 5/8 Le Grelot w/ custom scales, and a french point. I wanted a round point, so I purchased a 5/8 round point of unknown manufacture from Larry. Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a 5/8 round point Boker King Cutter, with horn scales, making the razor from Larry surplus. :drool:

I only shaved with the razor for Larry about 4 times, so it should still be in shave ready status, and plenty sharp.

Thank you again John! The generosity of this board is incredible! I'm stoked to try straight shaves! Now I gotta start reading up so I dont start bloodletting!

Hey Michiganlover,

Looks like you are picking up some nice blades. I've always wanted a Boker King Cutter. One of these days. :drool:

It's a beauty:

proxy.php

I have been wanting to try a straight forever but held off because of the cost. whippeddog is awesome. Now I can get a razor with out spending 100 bucks. Thanks for telling everyone about them.

I only shaved with the razor from Larry about 4 times, so it should still be in shave ready status, and plenty sharp.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Top Bottom