What's new

Another noob

Hello everyone,

After watching Joel's video I am considering buying a straight this week and embarking on a whole new exciting shaving adventure!

My hair grows in awkward directions on my neck and I find that a N-S pass with a DE (although easiest to perform) results in irritation.

My question is, for a straight shave, is it likely that because of the extra sharp blade I will be more likely to be able to get away with a N-S pass with less irritation?

Cheers

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It might be easier to go in the direction that the hair grows on your neck. If that's not possible, try to follow the right direction as much as you can.

Irritation could be related to technique, poor lather, not enough prep... If you are getting irritation with a DE at the moment, I don't think a straight will solve the situation.

If you do buy a straight, make sure it's sold to you as 'shave ready'. You will also need a strop with your straight.

A good DE blade is sharp so it should reduce/eliminate irritation. Make sure you shave WTG. I have an area on my neck where a N-S pass is actually against the grain. Therefore, my first pass there is S-N. This change in technique has eliminated the irritation I was getting in the area.

I think the problem here is with your technique. Get that straightened out and it should be fine whether you use a DE or straight.

Top Bottom