What's new

can someone tell me about this cigar?

so i dont know anything about cigars but im gunna smoke this later. i went down and just kinda randomly picked 2 that were $5 each :)

pics are blurry but the label reads:
COHIBA
Habana, Cuba

Last edited:
The brand Cohiba was founded in 1968 and the word Cohiba is probably the taíno-indian word for tobacco or cigar.
Cohiba-cigars were originally made for Fidel Castro and only for him. He used them as gifts for friends and heads of the States, when they visited Cuba.
They were not in the common trade until 1982.
Cohiba is considered to be one of the best brands in the world and rather expensive. IMO too expensive compaired to the quality but still a very fine cigar.

hmm, well, i got them for five bucks each from an shop here that sells mostly pirated DVDs but also cigars, hookahs, pipes, tobacco, shoes, trinkets. i pretty much operate on the assumption that if i buy something "name-brand" from an iraqi it's a knock-off lol and buy it for what it is

i dont really care for five bucks i was just gunna smoke em tonight with my buddy and shoot the breeze and im not into cigars i just kinda grabbed a random 2 cigars, but to knock-off cohiba cigars exist?

Last edited:
SNIP<<<< rather expensive. IMO too expensive compaired to the quality but still a very fine cigar.

I will agree with that. I even find they're very expensive (relatively) in Cuba compared to other noteworthy brands, like Montecristo, Bolivar, Trinidad, Cuaba, etc.

hmm, well, i got them for five bucks each from an shop here that sells mostly pirated DVDs but also cigars, hookahs, pipes, tobacco, shoes, trinkets. i pretty much operate on the assumption that if i buy something "name-brand" from an iraqi it's a knock-off lol
i dont really care for five bucks i was just gunna smoke em tonight with my buddy and shoot the breeze and im not into cigars i just kinda grabbed a random 2 cigars, but to knock-off cohiba cigars exist?

I believe you answered your own question my friend.

As to the bolded part, Cohiba, because of quality, price and reputation, are probably the most counterfeited brand, and I've seen figures from 3 - 5 to 1 of everything else.

hmm, well, i got them for five bucks each from an shop here that sells mostly pirated DVDs but also cigars, hookahs, pipes, tobacco, shoes, trinkets. i pretty much operate on the assumption that if i buy something "name-brand" from an iraqi it's a knock-off lol and buy it for what it is

Instead of lightening them up, it would probably be better if you cut them up. It will make it possible to read the newspaper-page, I'm sure you'll find inside the cigars...:wink2:

Instead of lightening them up, it would probably be better if you cut them up. It will make it possible to read the newspaper-page, I'm sure you'll find inside the cigars...:wink2:

oh i doubt that it's newspaper, it's going to be smokable. the iraqi dude does business on base lol, has a permanent establishment and a reputation.

he sells knock-offs for sure, but its good knock-offs, and he sells it for what it is: knock-offs.

lowkey,
Reputation or not I'm sure the local you bought your cigars from knew or cared anything about cigar storage. I myself was never willing to try and find out though. Your money would have been better spent on the fuente's, La Unica's, or Cuesta Reys they sell at the Px if you have that option. If your serious about cigars and don't have that option either get wife/girlfriend/ mom to ship you good stuff or go online to Cigar international or the like. If you are in desperate need of cigars and like yours on the stronger side I have some Tierra Del Sol by Perdomo sticks I'd be more than willing to send you. Just send me a PM and they are yours.

If it's a knock-off we can't tell you anything about the quality since there are so many knock-off Cohibas out there. You'll just have to try it and see!

Oh and:

John Kreiner said:
Originally Posted by John Kreiner View Post
Instead of lightening them up, it would probably be better if you cut them up. It will make it possible to read the newspaper-page, I'm sure you'll find inside the cigars...

:lol:

At one time the finest cigar in the world. Not anymore. I am also very suspicious that you have a counterfeit there. I wouldn't expect much if I were you.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
What I can tell you is that you have something that is in the shape of a cigar. I can also say with 99.99999 percent certainty that it is not a real Cuban Cohiba. If your lucky it may just be a cheap cigar with a Cohiba band, and you can still smoke it. If your unlucky it may be rolled with subpar tobacco, paper, straw, twigs or anything else you can roll into a cylinder.

Just to give you an idea an authentic Cuban Cohiba of that size would cost around $12 from an authorized Habanos vendor. I seriously hope you picked up something that is at least palatable, but it's not going to come close to the real thing.

I would bet the farm that they are fake. Cohibas are the most counterfitted cigars on earth. That does not mean they will be a bad smoke but I wouldn't get your hopes up. As has been said above, they could contain many things other than tobacco.

Pete

If it sounds too cheap then it probably is. Cohiba's are certainly at the high end of cigar prices and for $5 each I think you'd struggle to buy the wrapper of a real Cohiba.

Real Cohibas cost anywhere from $7 or $8 up to $100 each and that's when you're buying 15 or 25. I'm betting single cigars would be three times those costs.

Real Cohibas cost anywhere from $7 or $8 up to $100 each and that's when you're buying 15 or 25. I'm betting single cigars would be three times those costs.

I've paid anywhere between $20 ~ $60 a stick for real, genuine Cohibas ... the taste is well worth it.

I paid around $7 a stick for some knockoffs ... they were crap.

If you can submit clearer pictures, it will help a lot. Genuine Cohibas have clean, crisp printing on the bands. Counterfeit labels are muddy and blurred.

The final test to distinguish real from fake is the taste. Sorry, but there's no way I can put it into words, but its a taste you'll probably remember for the rest of your life. If you research online or read magazines like Cigar Aficianado, you can find narratives describing what the taste is like.

Last edited:
Maybe someone found a stash that belonged to Saddam or his family?
I remember a huge one was found in one of their palaces at the beginning of the war.

If you have a laboratory access, I'd take it for poison inspection just to make sure they don't exercise the new health plan prematurely :blush:

Top Bottom