What's new

Skin Food as Pre-Shave

I've been traveling the last few days and brought a very pared down shave kit with me (M3, Trumpers Travel Brush, Violet Cream and Coral Skin Food). At home, I religiously use CF Pre-Shave, and have done the testing myself to prove to me that a Pre-Shave matters for my shave. I have read in other threads that when getting a shave at Trumpers, they will apply Skin Food as a pre-shave, so I took it for a spin myself this morning.

I have to say that it was an unqualified success. I liberally applied Coral Skin Food to my damp face, then hand smeared some violet cream on top. I used the brush to face lather, and even with the cartridge, got a spectacular shave. I am typing this 13 hrs later, and I am still near BBS.

This is only one try and could be an extremely lucky anomaly, but I will be putting the CSF to daily use as my pre-shave when the bottle of CF Pre-Shave runs out in the next week or two.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Trumpers Skin Food is an excellent pre-shave treatment indeed.
When I decide to use it, I apply it twice: as a pre-shave before lathering and as a post shave, since it is very good for this purpose as well.
Among the three fragrances available, my favourite is the Lime, followed by the Sandalwood.

I love my skin food! I use it every shave as a preshave...the trumper's lime skin food. Makes my beard softer and seems to help with the shave for me as well.

X

It's interesting to me to think of SF as a pre-shave, since after shaving it kind of "seals" the skin, which I really like. Does putting lather on top of it keep it from drying and sealing?

It seems like an expensive pre-shave. But I absolutely love it as an after shave balm.

I will try the limes today with my CF lime shaving cream.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Does putting lather on top of it keep it from drying and sealing?

Hi Randy,

When you use Trumpers Skin Food as a pre-shave treatment, in my opinion, you are simply preparing your face for a better shave.
The SF actually does not dry out and, containing glycerin, it gives an extra layer of protection and slickness.
I think that this powerful product is excellent as a pre-shave as well as a post-shave.

It's interesting to me to think of SF as a pre-shave, since after shaving it kind of "seals" the skin, which I really like. Does putting lather on top of it keep it from drying and sealing?

With pre-shaves, I put the product on a wet face, then lather on top of that, so the SF did not have a chance to dry. The lather felt slicker for some reason (my guess, the glycerin slicked things up).

It seems like an expensive pre-shave. But I absolutely love it as an after shave balm.

If you think that's expensive, you should check out Castle Forbes Pre-Shave. That said, a bottle of that stuff has lasted me 16 months of every day use, so on a per shave basis, it's pretty inexpensive. Even when you add up the per shave price of the blade, pre-shave, soap/cream and ASB, a whole week's worth of shaves are still cheaper than a single Fusion cartridge.

Top Bottom