What's new

Another installment of "B&B is a dangerous place"

A year ago at this time it would not have occurred to me that the colognes I wore during the winter weren't suitable for warmer weather. Now, of course, they just wont do and I need some new stuff. It's not just enabling, it's pre-enabling conditioning. Anyone see THX 1138? "Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy."

Yeah, I go back and forth on that Obsessed. I guess there are some that are better suited for winter or warm weather, but I pay it little heed.

Of course SoCal has such a temperate and mild swing between seasons, it is certainly a part of my views.

There are some scents I guess I prefer in warmer weather out here, but there's very few I wouldn't wear whenever I feel like it. I mostly live a fairly temperature controlled life out here.
But I know in NYC, there's a lot being outside in some heat and humidity that certainly makes some scents overpowering.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Yeah, I go back and forth on that Obsessed. I guess there are some that are better suited for winter or warm weather, but I pay it little heed.

Of course SoCal has such a temperate and mild swing between seasons, it is certainly a part of my views.

There are some scents I guess I prefer in warmer weather out here, but there's very few I wouldn't wear whenever I feel like it. I mostly live a fairly temperature controlled life out here.
But I know in NYC, there's a lot being outside in some heat and humidity that certainly makes some scents overpowering.

I really don't pay attention to normal conventions. I wear what I like when it strikes my fancy.

+1

While I may be more likely to wear a Bay Rum on Christmas, doing so wouldn't preclude me from wearing it in July either.

I don't mean to suggest that I rely on convention or on someone else's opinion of what is a "summer" vs. a "winter" scent. I've just noticed that now that it's gotten warmer and I've been paying more attention to this stuff, my tastes seem to have changed. For example, I got a sample of Penhaligon's Elixir this past winter and just loved it. But I tried it again recently and it just wasn't working for me. I think the spice notes just made me think of cold weather and the holidays. Similarly, Hammam Bouquet started seeming too rich and heavy once it got warmer. (I think DC 1913 would be a much better warm weather rose scent if I felt I could pull it off.)

Obviously, the part about B&B being dangerous was tongue-in-cheek. (Even if it's true. :w00t:)

Last edited:
Obviously, the part about B&B being dangerous was tongue-in-cheek. (Even if it's true. :w00t:)

No, it is. Today I'm wearing Old Spice with PS by Paul Sebastian EdT after shaving with vintage Fatboy. While shaving, I noticed my silverbelly is starting to shed a lot, so I'm in the market for a brush.
I smacked on Witch Hazel. I've got a draw full of blades, mostly Astras. Never would have given any of this much thought before.

I do think if you live and work in NYC, there is of necessity more outdoor "travel" in heat and humidity than in many other cities. Some scents explode in those conditions. I would think Hamman could be one of them. In July you could be the "cologne guy" on the subway.

Last edited:
In July you could be the "cologne guy" on the subway.

It's funny you mention that. I commute into the City by train, and I also take they subway from the train station to my office. Generally speaking I have an extremely high degree of confidence that I'm not the worst-smelling guy on either one of them. The only exception I can think of? There's a L'Occitane store at Grand Central Station, and the other day I gave myself a test spray of Eau de Badian right before I got on the train. Man, that stuff did not smell good on me. (Unfortunately, the first minute or so was fine, so I didn't try to remove it.) I was afraid the whole ride home that I was "the cologne guy."

I was afraid the whole ride home that I was "the cologne guy."

I've been there. First time I wore my recently acquired VT, I used four sprays. YIKES! Human air freshener for the whole office. (But really GOOD air freshener mind you).

Your city presents many more temperature variable scenarios with close quarters than many of us have on a regular basis The train, the subway, and then walking to and from them really "activate" those frags.

I doubt you're ever the worst smelling guy on the train or whatever, but some scents get pretty potent and louder when activated by heat, and especially I think, humidity. I have longevity problems with a lot of scents, and I'm fairly convinced humidity acts as a scent magnifier. I used to travel to NY a fair amount so I know how that humidity gets. We're spoiled out here, but our frags have no longevity.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I really don't pay attention to normal conventions. I wear what I like when it strikes my fancy.

Me too ... it's just that a given cologne will strike fancy more in one season than another ... :001_huh:

The change is interesting. For years, I never wore anything to work, but I'd wear cologne on the weekend if I was going out. Got married, changed jobs. After that, I'd wear something neutral to work and nothing when I was off. Now I wear whatever I feel like to work, but even more so, I wear something that I really like when I'm off. Reflection replaces routine.

A year ago at this time it would not have occurred to me that the colognes I wore during the winter weren't suitable for warmer weather. Now, of course, they just wont do and I need some new stuff. It's not just enabling, it's pre-enabling conditioning. Anyone see THX 1138? "Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy."

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!
proxy.php

Hear,Hear!!

marty

Top Bottom