What's new

CJS' Entry into the B&B Hall of Fame

Please allow me to introduce myself:

Username:
CJS

What is your real name?
Cory

What are your nicknames/aliases?
"CShep" or "Shep" are the most common, almost everyone just calls me Cory.

Where do you live?
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

What is your age (or) generation?

What are you in the real world?
A student of fine-art photography and printmaking.

What is your favorite shave setup?
The only setup I have so far: '59 Superspeed Flair Tip, Crystals, Wilkinson Sword Boar Brush (ugh), Proraso + VDH Deluxe superlather, Thayers WH.

What are your hobbies and favorite activities?
My major activity is photography. I spend a significant amount of time shooting, developing negatives and working in photoshop. My hobbies are shaving (obviously,) and the exploration of underground infrastructure. I've got a bit of an obsession with storm drains and sewers, and I spend plenty of my spare time researching and scouting them; then gaining access to explore and photograph them.

What else should the members of B&B know about you?
In a bit of a sick, twisted way the smell of raw sewage has grown on me. It isn't pleasant persay, but it's come to be associated with excitement and adventure in my mind.

Cory! Let me be the first to welcome a fellow Canuck! (Ottawa is a great city)

Hope you find something in this hobby to overtake your enjoyment of Raw Sewage After Shave!

Would be interested in seeing some of your pictures!

Welcome aboard!

Cory! Let me be the first to welcome a fellow Canuck! (Ottawa is a great city)

Hope you find something in this hobby to overtake your enjoyment of Raw Sewage After Shave!

Would be interested in seeing some of your pictures!

Welcome aboard!

Ottawa certainly has its moments (most of them underground in my opinion,) but I still can't wait to move away.

Believe me, I keep my two hobbies very separate. Just because the smell of 'sewerfresh' (a tongue-in-cheek term for the smell used by the "draining" community) makes me think about impressive architecture and thrilling exploration doesn't mean I would like it to follow me around all day.

Here's a few of my favourite photos that I've taken over the past few months while under the city:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

They're all digital capture, I rarely bother to take my medium format film camera underground just because it's a pain in the *** to use, since it's all guesswork. All the light has to be painted in by whatever sources we bring with us, so it's impossible to use a lightmeter.

Cory,

I am sure there is a Photography thread somewhere on B&B so I will keep this brief. WOW neat pictures! Why that second pic isn't your avatar beats me?! TIME TUNNEL leaps to mind (very old tv show).

Also (and you don't have to answer) that must be illegal? What is the penalty if you are caught down there? I went down a manhole once in Jr high and when we got caught it was safety lecture mania for weeks!

To get back on topic: Once again welcome to the HOF!

Cory,

I am sure there is a Photography thread somewhere on B&B so I will keep this brief. WOW neat pictures! Why that second pic isn't your avatar beats me?! TIME TUNNEL leaps to mind (very old tv show).

Also (and you don't have to answer) that must be illegal? What is the penalty if you are caught down there? I went down a manhole once in Jr high and when we got caught it was safety lecture mania for weeks!

To get back on topic: Once again welcome to the HOF!

I considered using that second one for my avatar, but I felt like it's a bit out-of-place here. Besides, I love that shot of Bertie Wooster (Hugh Laurie) just as he's realizing he has no choice but to shave off his moustache. (Just as Jeeves planned all along!)

The legality of it is somewhat of a grey-area. Those people I've spoken to who have been apprehended while exiting a manhole are usually let off just with a warning. The police really don't know what to say/do when they realize that we're young adults with DSLR cameras and hip-waders who're genuinely interested in infrastructure, and not just some teenagers with spray-cans and their fathers' stolen beer.

I thought about putting these up in The Darkroom, but I find the idea of a thread just for my own drain photos a bit conceited.

They're all digital capture, I rarely bother to take my medium format film camera underground just because it's a pain in the *** to use, since it's all guesswork. All the light has to be painted in by whatever sources we bring with us, so it's impossible to use a lightmeter.

Hey Cory... if metering is your only problem with the medium format, why not use the settings off of your DSLR once you achieve the image you want? If you use the same aperture and shutter speed settings on your medium format, you should get the same exposure...

Hey Cory... if metering is your only problem with the medium format, why not use the settings off of your DSLR once you achieve the image you want? If you use the same aperture and shutter speed settings on your medium format, you should get the same exposure...

Because the light is unpredictable from shot to shot. Metering is ineffective with a DSLR as well, they're just easier to use because of the instant feedback via histogram. They're all long exposures, lit by handheld flashlights and spotlights, and some of them have very limited power and dim continually. I've shot a few rolls of film and they've turned out decently, but it's generally easier just to shoot digital.

The extra weight of a second camera is a literal pain-in-the-neck sometimes, too, especially a medium format.

Top Bottom