What's new

Big post, need all kinds of help please, many questions.

This is my setup:
Razor: Merkur Classic
Blades: Sampler Pack, currently using IP.
Brush: C&E Best Badger
Cream/Soap: Proraso green tube, Palmolive red, MamaBears Lime and Eucalyptus
A/S: Aqua Velva, Proraso ASB
Misc: Styptic Pencil

First, the Brush

I got my C&E Best Badger brush last tuesday, ive been using it at least once a day, usually more, since i like to practice my lather technique.

Since last tuesday ive used the brush 8-10 times, i cant exactly remember, but the brush has shed at least one hair each time, sometimes two. None were shed today thank god, but if more do shed, how many more before i should call C&E for an exchange?

Second, my brush isint holding water anymore, ive used shampoo and conditioner on it, the shave right after was bliss, but then the next day, the brush had that silvery sheen while underwater again.

I think it may be my VERY hard water, should i switch to using bottled water? We buy it by the gallons, so its cheap. Or is there anything out there that wont harm my brush, and yet take off the mineral deposits? Ive heard Borax helps, but isint that more of an anti-fungal so mildew wont grow on it?

Second, Soap/Cream lather

Does it matter what the lather looks like as long as it provides a slick shave?
My lather looks like crap, gets all Matte and dry looking after 1-2 minutes, but if i apply it on my face, it doesnt dissapear, and if i put my finger through it, its really slick. Is this a case of "dont worry about looks, but functionality"?
Again, this could be because i have really hard water.

Third, What causes razor bumps?

i get absolutely no irritation ANYWHERE on my face/next except for the lower next area, to the left and right of the adams apple, i get wicked razor bumps there. Ive used Derby, Euro Gillete, Merkur, IP, they all have the same effect, i have not yet tried the Feather
What are razor bumps caused by? bad razor angle? crappy lather?

And lastly, are there any other things i should worry about having really hard water? i was going to ask a couple more questions, but its late, i want to shave, and head off to bed

It sounds like your worst problem is that hard water...

For your brush, wash it out with a little dish liquid (like dawn etc, something mild) and then do a soak in 1 part white vinegar 9 parts water (I like an even 10% concentration ;)) (just added: add a dash of glycerine too)... brush should hold lots of water after that. My C&E brush shed a couple hairs for the first few uses but stopped - if it sheds much more I'd give them a call.

Definitely use bottled water for your shave - distilled or reverse osmosis water would be best, but just about any bottled water will give you better results than hard water. Your lather should have a bit of sheen on the top of it, if you move it around in the light. Just warm it up in your microwave before use. If you use a scuttle, there's no need to fill it with bottled water.

Razor bumps are often caused by cutting the hair underneath the skin surface, which can happen if the hair is pulled before it's cut, or if you stretch the skin too much while cutting. It can also be caused by irritating the pore with bad blade angle (scraping rather than cutting) and could also be an indicator that more pre-shave prep is needed (corn huskers lotion is a cheap alternative), or that your lather isn't lubricating enough (likely!!).

Happy Shaving!

-m00t

Yes hard water can be a big problem. It will affect every part of the shave process from the way its affects your wiskers, to lather development, the way the brush works and the way the razor works. Distilled water would be the best bet. I live in the S.W so I know all about hard water but I have a water softener.

As far a bumps go don't press down with the razor. The weight of the razor alone is enough to cut your beard.

I had problems with my neck for awhile. I figured out that the bottom half-inch of stubble on my neck grows in a different direction. I added an upward stroke on that area and no more irritation!

Bottled water in a Salton Hot Shot is a good way to go if your water is very hard. Just don't soak your brush in boiling water. Someone suggested adding a little Calgon to hard water and that will work as well, but I've not tried that.

Really? Having one's face swell from shaving with distilled water seems far-fetched to me. After all, as soon as you mix it with the soap, etc., it's no longer distilled...

So what is the best way to dectec hard water/soft water?

Have your water tested. Most counties do it for free - check with a local extension, county service, or water purification/softener company. You would tend to know already if you have hard water - calcification on faucets, iron stains in the sinks and tubs, soaps give thinnish lather.

Dennis

We have really, really hard water where I live (Cotswolds, Limestone) and I get a lot of soap scum in the basin after shaving, but I never seem to have a problem either getting a rich lather or a good shave, but then we've always had hard water so I'm maybe just used to it. Maybe we're getting just a bit too technical here. As for swelling faces....

Paul

Tell you what Silverkarn, if you look like that Salamander I would stay away from shaving,period, boy you got real trouble that no amount of calgon is gonna' sort out.

Paul.

O RLY?

Well, I'll present a case from the animal kingdom. While we wouldn't suffer the same fate, the basic scientific principals are in play on a much smaller scale.

http://www.animalnetwork.com/reptiles/detail.aspx?aid=25366&cid=3977&search=

Short version: purified water = good. Distilled water = not always good.

You are talking about salamanders, not humans. Distilled water splashed on your face for 10 minutes in the morning is not going to cause your skin harm. YA RLY.

Dennis

O RLY?

Well, I'll present a case from the animal kingdom. While we wouldn't suffer the same fate, the basic scientific principals are in play on a much smaller scale.

http://www.animalnetwork.com/reptiles/detail.aspx?aid=25366&cid=3977&search=

Short version: purified water = good. Distilled water = not always good.

except the human body was designed to be homeostatic, a salamander cannot cope adverse environmental changes, hence why you find humans from both extremes: cold and hot

while ingesting distilled water can be dangerous, and i mean this in the most literal sense as you can die from drinking too much unsalted water, the amount required to produce a mortal effect from skin contact is dubious

skin contact cause swelling? i cannot recall ever having my hands swell from coming into contact with distilled water, though i will confess the stuff tastes horrid, if anything my hands got all wrinkly

You are talking about salamanders, not humans. Distilled water splashed on your face for 10 minutes in the morning is not going to cause your skin harm. YA RLY.

Dennis

Didn't say it'd cause your skin harm, just said it'd cause your face to swell.

Excessively hot water will do the same as well.

If the point is to get as good of a shave as possible, then distilled water isn't moving you in the right direction. Neither would salt water, or any water with excessive mineral content.

i cannot recall ever having my hands swell from coming into contact with distilled water, though i will confess the stuff tastes horrid, if anything my hands got all wrinkly

When your skin wrinkles, it's because it's swollen due to absorbing water. That's why it happens after being in the tub for too long.

Top Bottom