What's new

Aleppo soap: a 100% natural alternative to shave soaps.

Hi,
today my girlfriend went shopping and she came back whit something that got my interest.
She purchased what is called an Aleppo soap(savon d'alep in french).
So i decided to look on the internet to know what was that weird looking thing,
and i found that it's a soap that is made in the middle east since almost 3000 years.
It's made of olive oil and laurel oil, it's 100% natural.
While looking on the internet i found that it can be use as a shave soap, providing a lot of lubrication and glide for the blade, since it contains olive oil and act as a disinfectant antiseptic because of the laurel oil.
So later i asked my girlfriend if i could cut a piece of her soap to experiment ,
she said yes so i went in the bathroom , filled up the sink whit hot water and let soak my boar brush and the piece of soap inside for 5 mins.
After i took the brush out of the water and the soap, squeezed my brush to remove excess of water and i went to war on the puck.
Personally i wasn't thinking it would lather, but it did.
The lather i got was quite rich and very lubricating.
Take note i haven't lather on my face but on my hand, since i had already shaved in the morning, but i let the lather on my hand for 5 mins and there was not a sign of drying.
After i rinced the soap of my hand and a good feeling of lubrication stayed.
Tomorrow i will shave whit it and will keep you update of how it went. Here's a picture of an Aleppo soap:
picture.php

Hi,
today my girlfriend went shopping and she came back whit something that got my interest.
She purchased what is called an Aleppo soap(savon d'alep in french).
So i decided to look on the internet to know what was that weird looking thing,
and i found that it's a soap that is made in the middle east since almost 3000 years.
It's made of olive oil and laurel oil, it's 100% natural.
While looking on the internet i found that it can be use as a shave soap, providing a lot of lubrication and glide for the blade, since it contains olive oil and act as a disinfectant antiseptic because of the laurel oil.
So later i asked my girlfriend if i could cut a piece of her soap to experiment ,
she said yes so i went in the bathroom , filled up the sink whit hot water and let soak my boar brush and the piece of soap inside for 5 mins.
After i took the brush out of the water and the soap, squeezed my brush to remove excess of water and i went to war on the puck.
Personally i wasn't thinking it would lather, but it did.
The lather i got was quite rich and very lubricating.
Take note i haven't lather on my face but on my hand, since i had already shaved in the morning, but i let the lather on my hand for 5 mins and there was not a sign of drying.
After i rinced the soap of my hand and a good feeling of lubrication stayed.
Tomorrow i will shave whit it and will keep you update of how it went. Here's a picture of an Aleppo soap:
picture.php

Is this "Method Shaving?"

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Congrats on your find!

You should let those guys over in the ZOTE thread know about this, maybe you guys can share recipes!! :lol:

Please do post the results. The prevailing opinion here seems to be that Olive Oil based soaps are, uh, under-performers where lather is concerned.

Cool looking soap though..."book by it's cover" and all that - but if it lathers well in the hand, it has a shot.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Please do post the results. The prevailing opinion here seems to be that Olive Oil based soaps are, uh, under performers where lather is concerned.

Cool looking soap though..."book by it's cover" and all that.

+1

Olive oil in soap is not 'bad' itself but you might get different results.

The last olive oil soap that I used, the lather disappeared after 5 minutes (just like magic)...

Looks similar to Savon de Marseilles, which provides some slickness but doesn't really lather; ok to 'hand-lather' in an emergency, but I doubt it would lend itself well to use as a daily shaving soap.

Update:
i shaved whit the soap today, the end result is:**Never try this at home** Williams lather like Tabac compare to that:blink:
But it's a great soap for the body.

Update:
i shaved whit the soap today, the end result is:**Never try this at home** Williams lather like Tabac compare to that:blink:
But it's a great soap for the body.

Interesting to hear that :wink2:. I've used this soap in the shower for about 3 weeks and like it very much. My skin feels very nice. But I like my MWF more!

What do you think about its scent? I don't mind it but its little bit like excrement to me... But I like it.

Interesting to hear that :wink2:. I've used this soap in the shower for about 3 weeks and like it very much. My skin feels very nice. But I like my MWF more!

What do you think about its scent? I don't mind it but its little bit like excrement to me... But I like it.

It smells pretty much like olive oil for me, the scent doesn't bother me at all.
As a soap bar it's great, also you can wash your hair whit it, it's said to be good to fight dandruff.

It smells pretty much like olive oil for me, the scent doesn't bother me at all.
As a soap bar it's great, also you can wash your hair whit it, it's said to be good to fight dandruff.

I've tried this too and find it better than my shampoo. Nice all-in-one soap.

Found more on Amazon do a search for Aleppo soaps, smaller Quantities than on the Bay, just another option since 10LBS is a bit much

Top Bottom