What's new

Fish Oil Anyone?

Does anyone here take Fish Oil?

I've taken it off and on but have most recently made it a daily habit. It is taken for many things so I won't ask what you take it for, but what brands do you prefer and suggest and what dosage? More specifically the EPA/ DHA.

I take 2 a day, one morning and one evening.

Mine are the Sam's club brand Omega 3,6,9 bottle says they contain 440mg of each epa/dha

Just have to remember to take them before you eat, otherwise you belch fish.

They make them now with a coating that is supposed to prevent the fish burps. Which, BTW, are horrible.

To my understanding (which could be nothing but myth and marketing hype), 'bad' fish oil i.e. old and cheaper brands cause these burps. Said higher quality may not.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
First the Emu Oil thread and now this Fish Oil thread.

Seems like guys here on B&B have a lot of squeaky animals.

You've gotta keep your critters lubricated.

Emu Oil I've used for muscle aches and it seemed to work well.

Only time i have a problem with fish burps, is when I take them, and skip breakfast, or if I take them long after dinner. I never have a problem if I take them before eating.

I'll have to try to remember to take mine with meals. I usually do. Otherwise, major gag reflexes kick in taking these colossal beasts.

Any brand is really fine provided it's molecularly distilled (and therefore free of heavy metals and toxins). I take 8g/day (1g capsules, Costco brand) as part of low-carb dieting and for general health.

1-3g/day tho is a good daily dose for non low-carbers.

Does anyone here take Fish Oil?

I've taken it off and on but have most recently made it a daily habit. It is taken for many things so I won't ask what you take it for, but what brands do you prefer and suggest and what dosage? More specifically the EPA/ DHA.
Absolutely.

I take Carlson's fish oil liquid, a few tablespoons morning and night. No fish burps. I get it from The Vitamin Shoppe, you can get it online fairly cheap.

Great fish oil calculator here: http://whole9life.com/fish-oil/

Rich, to my knowledge fish oil does not contain metals, as metals do not accumulate in fats.

Last edited:
I take fish oil usually every day, 2 in the morning and 2 at night. It should be taken with food, either before or after eating. I take Swanson's super EPA softgels with a total of 550mg of essential omega-3 fatty acids per capsule.

The omega-3's are great for heart health, and cholesterol control. They should not be taken however if you are on any blood-thinning medications. If you take such medications check with your health care provider before taking any fish oil supplement.

Absolutely.

I take Carlson's fish oil liquid, a few tablespoons morning and night. No fish burps. I get it from The Vitamin Shoppe, you can get it online fairly cheap.

Great fish oil calculator here: http://whole9life.com/fish-oil/

Rich, to my knowledge fish oil does not contain metals, as metals do not accumulate in fats.

Interesting. I've read that mercury has become a real issue with salmon as well as dioxin and hexane (from the extraction process, I beleive, but could also be environmental).

Interesting. I've read that mercury has become a real issue with salmon as well as dioxin and hexane (from the extraction process, I beleive, but could also be environmental).
I read something to that effect, but as I understand it applies to salmon as table fare, and not oil. I'm going to go back and find the reference, if I can. But generally, to my knowledge, Mercury does not bind to fats.

Robb Wolf (he has a Paleolithic Podcast) did a bit on this a while back, I'll see if I can find it also.

It's those dreaded fish burps that have made me stop taking them. I always take them with other vitamins at meal times, but the burps are unavoidable for me. I'll try to find another brand that's somewhat more odorless.

Now I use them as treats for the dogs. Filthy hounds think they're getting roast beef or something when I give them those gels. Seriously, they go nuts for 'em.

It's those dreaded fish burps that have made me stop taking them. I always take them with other vitamins at meal times, but the burps are unavoidable for me. I'll try to find another brand that's somewhat more odorless.
And that's why I like the liquid. Carlsons is lemon flavored (and smelling), so as long as you don't mind drinking your oil, it seems to solve the problem.

I've taken both "smell free" and "regular" in the past.... never did feel any difference. I take 1000mg caps once per day.

Tell that to Jeremy Piven

My bottle specifically states that it had been thru a molecular distillation, to remove mercury, PCB, heavy metals, and dioxins
Piven claims to have eaten fish twice a day for 20 years, which is not the same thing as taking fish oil. In fact, his claim somewhat proves my point, that the toxins mentioned are found within the proteins, not the fats. He also blames soy for his man boobs (which I actually believe).

Keep in mind, that just because the process can remove these compounds, it does not necessarily mean that they are there in the first place.

But honesty, as long as you are taking a good grade of oil, you should be fine. Carlsons, Nordic Naturals, and other brands are quite safe. The stuff I take is regularly tested.

Take care.

Top Bottom