What's new

Is this a good straight razor?

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany...straight~razor~@c~@b~@r~All|0|user|1,0,0,1|9|

Has anyone tried this razor? And does shave ready actually mean shave ready? I assume it does.

I need a strop too.

Also am I right in thinking that I don't need to hone a straight very often, every few months?

Thanks.

Sorry for all the questions.

Sounds like you are starting new to str8's. Why not look for one on the BST that will come from a fellow member who will make sure it is shave ready for you. It may not be new, but it will work great especially if you're not sure you will stick with it. I bought mine from a member and have loved every shave with it. Just my $.02. To answer the honing question, yes you won't need to hone very often as long as you strop and keep it maintained. There are also members that hone for a nominal fee if you don't want to invest all the $ in hones. Good luck.

Thanks. The only thing with BST is that I'm from the UK. I did look and will look again though.

Thanks.

Ah, I see. Most of the guys will ship international for you, but I hear what you're saying. I wonder though, do they have more shops there that actually still sell str8's unlike here in the US? Maybe a look in one of those shops will yield good results for you as well. As far as the EJ (Dovo) from your OP, I'm not sure how that one is but I've seem some threads about Dovo quality not being quite great. I think Joel did a review on some of his Dovos he's acquired recently that he's been less than happy with. Maybe EJ and English Shaving Company do a better QC job though as I've heard some good things about this vendor. The price definitely isn't bad for a new razor.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think stores sell them here in the UK. Maybe I'd be better off waiting and looking up reviews and things. I'm dying to try it though! But I need to be patient...:mad3:

Thanks again :001_smile

Patience is key and even more important when you actually start using the razor, otherwise you may have a big mess to clean up. Again, good luck!

When buying straights I always old ones instead of new ones. If you buy new I would get one from Straightrazordesigns.com, Lynn is the man.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think stores sell them here in the UK. Maybe I'd be better off waiting and looking up reviews and things. I'm dying to try it though! But I need to be patient...:mad3:

Thanks again :001_smile

Read up here first on the tools and tutes. There's a bit more to it than buying a straight and sending it for honing 2-3 times a year. There's making good lather and stropping, and actually using the thing takes a good while.

That straight is pricey to begin with, hang around on BST, plenty of blokes ship o/s. I bought from SRD, the only thing is they only ship priority. Yes, you get it quick, but long haul postage is pricey.

I've seem some threads about Dovo quality not being quite great. I think Joel did a review on some of his Dovos he's acquired recently that he's been less than happy with. Maybe EJ and English Shaving Company do a better QC job though as I've heard some good things about this vendor. The price definitely isn't bad for a new razor.
I'm no expert on different brands, but Dovo has an excellent reputation. I bought the Special after Joel's lengthy review of it, and it's a well regarded blade among honers too. They may have a few that may be poorer value, but I certainly can't fault the quality I've experienced so far.

Last edited:
P

pedro083

Well if your uk based i would look at the.
Invisable edge
strop shop
Both of these retilors sell new and vintage straights and also do honing so you well get a truly sharp razor.

ps the razors dont come properly shave ready from manafacture they need to be hand honed to matter what the maker tells you. so if it does not say it has been honed it is not properly shave ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bluefoxicy

That razor is the Dovo ebony handle 5/8 with silver engraving plate, with a brand stamped on it I think. Best I can tell.

No, it's not shave ready. You can shave with it but you won't enjoy it. Trust me I've done it, it works for me but won't get close; for most people, it's just pain and trust me I know why.

Go to StraightRazorDesigns.com if you want a new one, or RupRazor.com if you want a new Gold Dollar (cheaper, but not as good as a Dovo; it's a really fine instrument, and the 5/8 is more easily maneuverable than the 6/8). You can also get a very fine blade off the BST, as mentioned, in shave-ready condition.

You'll find that the razor simply doesn't work when you first use it. This is normal, as you have no idea what you're doing and it's not as simple as sticking a blade to your face and pulling. It won't take long to get it to shave... poorly... a few days maybe and you'll get it; over several months, though, you'll adjust by observation and (mostly) by plain old feel and get better and better shaves. It's a fine motor skill and a non-obvious one, unlike say playing a piano where you KNOW what you need to do and just need to learn the muscle memory.

Good luck. Stick with it and it's just like a musical instrument... you hate it, it sucks, it doesn't work, it's hard, and then a year later you love it and will never put it down in your life.

Looks like a Dovo Astrale. Don't know that particular razor but Dovos are good razors generally. It won't be "shave ready" by the standards of most shavers on this site. You could try Invisible Edge (www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk) who supply Dovo razors (maybe even the Astrale) ready honed.

Top Bottom