What's new

How to best learn razor values?

Like all vintage collectibles there's going to be a wide variance based on the rariety of a model, condition and buyer market conditions. I don't shop in the collectible grade end of the market but for shaver grade stuff I'll take a stab using my observation of common Gillette models that seems to show up on ebay and forum BST's frequently:

Late 30's or newer ball, travel or fat handle Tech - usually $7-$15 for something in good to exellent condition, there are a lot of these out there and the condition and finish varies wildly.

Super Speeds - $10-$25 - almost as common as techs, seems to fetch more due to the popularity of matching birth years, 40's and red tip seem the most popular...

Slim Adjustables - $20-$35 depending on condition and presence of a case or not.

Fatboy - $35-50 without a case (forum price), $45-80 on eBay with or without depending how big the feeding frenzy...$100+ for a mint, complete example is not uncommon.

Super Slim Adjustable - $25-$40, I can't figure out why these fetch more than the standard Slim's - probably their unique handle/head balance and as more recent manufactur they are generally in better shape - lots of people with birth years in the late 60-late 70's chasing these which corresponds with the demographic making the biggest inroad into DS shaving lately so competition seems to keep the price healthy.

Aristocrat - $15-$50 for the common gold TTO models, low price would be bare razor with finish blemishes while $50(+) is something in nice shape with a case. It's been my observation that pricing on these varies wildly due to the more visible wear on gold plated razors which makes them worth more on the high end and less as the condition deteriorates.

Last edited:
Besides spending years watching ebay and the BST, is there a resource for values on DE/SE razors?

Not really. You can always check out the sold auctions on ebay but the prices of razors will vary considerably based on model, condition, cased or not. There is no razor Blue Book that I'm aware of.

Len

Yuppiejr's observations are spot on. But, from week to week, the prices can fluctuate across his observed ranges.

The eBay values will vary based on the experience (or lack thereof) by the auction participants, along with the quality of the seller's presentation and pictures.

Razor's have no intrinsic value - the amount someone is willing to pay varies widely, and changes over time. You're best bet is to survey recent sales of products similar to what you have/want and take an average.

people on ebay are crazy sometimes on price with the vintage razor. just a few weeks ago someone asks if $52 was to much to pay for a 54 super speed in fair condition.

I have a pretty good idea of the prices from watching BST and ebay for about 2 months. The short guide earlier is a good jumping off point. I don't think itll take you a couple years!

Razor's have no intrinsic value - the amount someone is willing to pay varies widely, and changes over time. You're best bet is to survey recent sales of products similar to what you have/want and take an average.

Chris,

That doesn't seem right.

Intrinsic value is not the same as market value. A razor has intrinsic value in that it has a valid function, i.e. shaving. Or another measure of intrinsic value is the amount of labor and materials that went into it; the razor is the equivalent of so many man-hrs and so much materiel (which have their own intrinsic values).

Market value is independent of these assessments. How badly do I need to shave? How badly do I want to shave with that particular razor? How collectible is the razor? These affect the price irrespective of the intrinsic value.

Steve

Thanks guys. I was curious because I went antique shopping again today and I was trying to brush up on my knowledge a bit before I went and I couldn't find any resources for it.

I personally can't afford too much AD right now, but I'm always in the market for something I can flip quickly for a respectable profit. They don't pay us enlisted boys much.

Chris,

That doesn't seem right.

Intrinsic value is not the same as market value. A razor has intrinsic value in that it has a valid function, i.e. shaving. Or another measure of intrinsic value is the amount of labor and materials that went into it; the razor is the equivalent of so many man-hrs and so much materiel (which have their own intrinsic values).

Market value is independent of these assessments. How badly do I need to shave? How badly do I want to shave with that particular razor? How collectible is the razor? These affect the price irrespective of the intrinsic value.

Steve

I always did nod off in Econ-101 :001_huh:

The only published "blue book" that I am aware of on safety razors is "Safety Razors, a Price Guide" which was published by L-W Book Sales of Gas City, IN.

Unfortunately, the book was published about fifteen years ago and is now out of print. Even it it were more recent, in my experience, the prices of these razors has changed dramatically in the last few years. The only thing I see the prices in this book being of value for is, perhaps, a relative thing when comparing one razor to another.

The book does have many good color pictures. If anyone is interested, I do see copies showing up from time to time on Amazon.com. from their third party vendors.

Regards,
Tom

Is it safe to assume that prices are rising currently? I would think that given the current rise in interest in this hobby.

You make-a me laugh.

Actually, from a philosophical perspective, I'd agree that values are objective, not intrinic (or subjective).

But how many times do we have to go over THAT in these "common razor prices" threads. I mean, come on. ;-)

Steve

Hijacking my own post, but your avatar. Holy cow. My dog tags irritate and pull hairs enough. I can't imagine that.

Is it safe to assume that prices are rising currently? I would think that given the current rise in interest in this hobby.

I think so. Demand is too. Went to my local retro antique shop and she said that someone came by and bought every one of the DE razors she just put out. You gotta snag stuff quick now! :tongue_sm

Top Bottom