What's new

Top Three Razors

hmmmm. thus far ('cuz I haven't tried everything) I'd say:
Merkur Futur
Gillette Fat Boy
Gillette Slim

not in any particular order, as that is just too hard to do.
Merkur Futur because it is a solid performer. Not fancy but well made and sturdy. Good weight too.
The Fat Boy because it works well with pretty much any blade you put in it.
The slim is the newest addition to my den. It's sleek and smooth. It fits my hand a little better than the fat boy.

Last edited:
If you could only have three razors to use for the rest of your life, what would they be and why?

my current top 3 in my possession:

Fatboy - because its awesome
46 Aristocrat - because its awesome
03' Double Ring - because its the oldest

My "golden" open comb;
My Rotbart Mond Extra open comb
My Enigma bar comb.

They all give me GREAT shaves. The open combs are more versatile, so easier to steer over my face, and they do not clog. So they are 1 and 2.

1. 1912 GEM Jr
2. Senator
3. Schick L Type

In that order because they represent the three primary types of razors and are the best of each. IMHO of course.

Last edited:
In no particular order:

Merkur Slant-Bar
Gillette Aristocrat open-comb
Gillette New Ball-End

Why? Consistently close shaves with ease and comfort.

I still have a few to try but so far:
merkur hd
merkur progress
trac ii if it counts, if not my futur.

From the few that I've used, this is how I would rank them:

1. Early, Pre-War Tech
2. Super Speed (regular)
3. Blue-Tip Super Speed

Numbers 2 and 3 could be interchangable, but my pre-war Tech is definitly the best razor I've used!

Merkur Progress- so far this is my workhorse!
Bostonian- love the weight and style of this open comb!
1948 Aristocrat- just feels good in the hand and always gives me a great shave!:lol:

All Gillettes...

1) Tech (ball-end criss-cross cut handle pattern 70's): I remember thinking during my Adjustable and Slant phases that the people who recommended a Tech and Feather were just goofy. I was wrong, they were right. First, the handle is just plain gorgeous. Second, the combo with the Feather lands me smack-dab at the end of the rainbow in Shave-ana.

2) Super-Speed (early 50's or black handle late 60's/early 70's): Inexplicably, these provide finer shaves than my early 60's SS.

3) Short Handle Black Beauty: Heavy, which is nice occasionally. Named appropriately, for it is beautiful. Gillettes last attempt at making something mechanically and aesthetically admirable (I believe the criss-cross Tech came out before this razor). The black Super Speeds are nice, but I've never liked the look of the flaired end.

I've gravitated away from the longer razors (long-handled Black Beauty and Merkur 39C Slant). Short-handled razors seem to become an extension of my hand/wrist. I find myself thinking less about the razor and managing it.

Steve

Top Bottom