What's new

Top Three Razors

1. Gillette New (short comb)
2. Merkur 34C HD
3. Merkur Progress

I'm not sure the New should outrank the Merkur HD. However, I am sure both outrank the Progress. Of course, ask me again next month and I may very well have three different razors to offer to the list.

If you could only have three razors to use for the rest of your life, what would they be and why?

Hmm, I've tried a bunch of different razors this past year in search of shaving nirvana. Even a couple rare ones like the Diplomat and Toggle. (Haven't tried a NEW Deluxe yet though. Anybody got an extra one lying around?) :tongue_sm

Oh, yeah, the question. Here ya go, my choices. Drumroll, please...

1. Pre-War Tech. (I use a fluted, painted GI handle and a 'Fat Tech' handle. Neither is pretty, but both give a good grip) This is my favorite razor to use when I'm in a hurry. No muss, no fuss; just smooth and easy shaves. I load it up with a Shark blade and it is still sinfully easy on my sensitive neck.

2. '09 ABC Pocket. This is a great travel razor, and I like the thin razor head for under the nose work. It maneuvers so well in those tight spots; just amazing. The ABC's solid handle also means it will probably last another hundred years with no worries. I use a Red Personna with this dream boat of a razor.

3. '17 Old Type Single Ring. This is my current single favorite razor in the whole wide world. :thumbup1: A bit of finish wear, but nice straight teeth and no cracks in the handle. Knock on wood. This razor is just so beautifully well-made, it's like a little Swiss watch. Easy to see how Gillette made such a great reputation putting out little gems like this. (No offense intended to the Gem lovers.) I Use a Red Personna in this one, too.

None of these are terribly valuable or especially rare or anything. The ABC and the Single Ring both appeal to me aesthetically and have a satisfying heft about them without being too hefty. The Tech just works.

I have a lot of razors, more than I need, but those are the ones I reach for the most. I suppose I could make do with them for the rest of my life if I had to do it. But I wouldn't like to...:sneaky2:

Here's that Single Ring. "There are many like it, but this one is mine..."

proxy.php

Last edited:
Gem lather catcher, gillette NEW.

As for the third, it's probably one of those holy grail types I can never find, afford or have shaved with. If you press me I'll just have to say GEM damskeene 1912 to annoy all the toggle, fatboy, NEW deluxe, ABC pocket or aristocrat fans who think they are sitting on a gold mine :lol:

If you could only have three razors to use for the rest of your life, what would they be and why?

1. EJ DE89L – Consistently comfortable shave, solid design.
2. Gillette Executive (D3) – An awesome versatile razor that was made the same year and quarter I was born. Using a razor the same age as you are offers a little bit of nostalgia, and will probably last longer than me.
3. Merkur Progress – I prefer the adjustable for traveling to accommodate the variety of blades subjected to.

Mercur 2000 Vision in matt chrome finish - easily the best safety razor in the world!
Dovo Red Bismarck - good looking keeps its sharpness and shaves like a dream
C-Mon Blackie - coolest looking straight razor in the world + shaves very well too. :001_smile

1) EJ 89L because it's beautifully made
2) Gillette New gold common bar handle because it shaves wonderfully
3) Gillette Aristocrat 1951 because gotta have a TTO

1) Jagger DE89L Wonderful razor-- safe, smooth shaves
2) Schick injector I1 (first real razor, still like it very much)
3) Gem Junior

Burt

1. Muhle R41 - Beautifully made and forgiving
2. Gem OC Micromatic - worth the learning curve
3. Gem Damaskeene 1912 - just a pleasure to use

1. Mühle R41
2. Mühle R89
3. Gillette NEW replated, with cooncatbob handle
AND a Gillette Tech A 1, which Have to throw in because it was made in my birth year and quarter, and you just can't go without a Tech somewhere in the bunch!)

JR

Top Bottom