What's new

Wet shaving clogs drains faster?

I've noticed that since I began wet shaving, my sink drain clogs to a complete standstill every two months. A bit of foaming pipe cleaner and it works fine again, but two months later I need to repeat.

My drains never clogged this fast when I was shaving with canned goo. I'm wondering if the creams I'm using are leaving more soap scum in the drains than the goo did.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

Maybe it's just a coincidence - and the drain now needs to be reamed and bored by professionals to restore the flow rate.

And I THOUGHT it was just me and my sink. (Actually, I was blaming it on the wife, he he he.)

Yes, I noticed this and as a prevention, I give it a good plunging once a month.

Jim

I had this problem also with either Canned Goo or good creams/soap. As the other poster indicated get the pipe cleaned that's what I did and it cured the problem.

Try running a snake through it. Just make sure its clean of that drain cleaner. That stuff will burn.

Sometimes, a drain will get a partial clog that will make it drain slower. The snake is your friend. Way cheaper than cleaner or calling a plumber in the long run.

I have also noticed that my drain is clogging a lot faster since I started wet shaving, but I just thought it was me.

I have been using a natural enzyme cleaner to keep them clear. I works with hair, creams, soap, whatever is clogging it up. You will need a couple of applications to clear a stoppage, then a once a month to keep everything moving. They come in grainular form as well a liquid. Just make sure you have rinsed it all down the drian before shaving. Larry

You are not imagining things, these creams and other things are rich and will cause more build up.

I did not notice until I started using Omega which really contributes to the issue.

Use a snake.

Boiling or near boiling water will clean the soap and gunk out quite well. Works wonders on the shower drain as well.

Oh, and +1 on the drain snake.

And I THOUGHT it was just me and my sink. (Actually, I was blaming it on the wife, he he he.)

Yes, I noticed this and as a prevention, I give it a good plunging once a month.

Jim

Being British and brought up on Benny Hill and Carry On films there's a potential double entendre in your last line that is almost physically painful for me to ignore, but I must to spare the sensibilities of our American cousins. :001_smile

Last edited:
I have not experienced this at all.

I DO however find that my sink is always clean. I am washing my sink with soap and hot water every day in my shaving process, without any extra effort.

Not to insult your intelligence, but if you will just remove the trap underneath the sink, I bet you will find a ton of hair and other build-up. It only takes about 5 minutes to do and in most cases you won't even need any tools.

DL

Hair is the major cause of drain problems in the bathroom. Dustinl has the right idea. Take the trap off. Check the horizontal pipe that goes into the wall. Also look down the drain from the sink and make sure that the pipe is free of hair.

The baking soda and vinegar (acetic acid) causes a foaming action. The warm acid is more active and will eat hair.

Thanks Ceri!

You are not imagining things, these creams and other things are rich and will cause more build up.

I did not notice until I started using Omega which really contributes to the issue.

Use a snake.
Kind of like soap scum in the pipes?

Top Bottom