What's new

MWF for acne prone skin?

I've pretty much set my mind on grabbing a puck of MWF but I was worried it it would cause acne. Due to lanolin, would MWF cause acne or pimples? I'm afraid the wool fat would clog up the pores. That and I'm not sure if I'm allergic to lanolin (I'd be pretty bummed out if I was).

I have acne prone skin and I was tempted to try MWF too.

I read a lot of articles on the net and it seems clearly proven that lanolin increases acne breakouts, so I passed. I did not want to take the risk as it is already painful to fight acne and as there are so many other soaps on the market.

anyway YMMV as usual.

yes and many skin care products are comedogenic.

I used MWF a few years ago in my teens when my skin was more acne-prone, and it didn't cause me any problems. In fact, I think it made my skin look better. The list that is in the link above is very informative, and it differentiates between the natural lanolin (the kind in MWF) and other lanolins (like acetylated lanolin) that can clog pores and irritate skin.

My skin is pretty prone to acne still (I was under the impression this would end by the time I'm 31!:angry:) I find that I tend to break out with any tallow based soap unless I take extra care to thoroughly rinse with fresh water from the tap. MWF doesn't seem to cause any special problems though.
As far as the possible allergy, I'm sure you could find a sample tube of some sort of product that has lanolin in one of the big bath stores. Won't necessarily guarantee you won't react the MWF, but you might feel better about the purchase. Also, when you're eligible to post a sale in the BST, you could have it sold (or traded) in a day or two.

Thanks guys. I really wanted to try MWF for the moisturizing qualities. Oscarbowman, thank you for the article. I had no idea as to what really caused acne and so forth. Hopefully my new SR3118 will whip up an awesome lather!!

This is great to hear as I have been avoiding MWF due to fears of its lanolin. Next time I order something I'll grab some and give it a shot.

Top Bottom