What's new

IS there a widely regarded "holy grail" of vintage DE razors?

The Merkur HD and the Gillette Fatboy are highly regarded. But get 20 guys together and you'll get 20 different opinions on what's the best razor, but since there's lots of different razors everyone can find their favorite.

Gene,

I don't follow the DE razor extremely close (gasp!!:eek: ), but it seems that either a Fatboy adjustable or the '40' model Super Speed Gillettes get a lot of press.

Randy

An Aristocrat with a barber pole handle sold recently on eBay. I don't care whether it shaves well; it was beautiful. And expensive.

An Aristocrat with a barber pole handle sold recently on eBay. I don't care whether it shaves well; it was beautiful. And expensive.

Funny enough, the last two to be sold were purchased by B&B Members. I think my next purchase is going to be a gold one, and maybe a regular Aristocrat and a President. I want to see if they all shave the same.

This one purchased by "SDH".
proxy.php

And this one, purchased by yours truly. They really do shave like a dream.
proxy.php

I get great shaves from my Aristocrat. The weight and balance of this razor seem to work very well for me. If I were to have only one Gillette, this would be it.

This is an impossible question, though.

jim

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
As I enter each Antique Mall, Shop, Store, or Flea Market, I'm hopeful to uncover a Gillette Gold Toggle, a Gillette 195 Adjustable, Gillette President, Aristocrat, or other higher end Gillettes of their era. I've found 2 of the 4 in the last 45 days, the Toggle and the 195 have escaped my grasp, so I would consider them my personal "holy grail". Even if some sharpie antique dealer had them priced at $50.00 each in his or her booth ( which is unlikely because dealers haven't caught on to razor price inflation) I would gladly pay $50.00 for every Toggle and 195 I could lay my hands on.

Mike

Yeah,
I agree with Mike.
The 195 is my holy grail. I have it's cheaper cousin I would say. There's also the L'essor Supreme Adjustable.

Though the toggles would be annoying to me, though. What would make them shave better than a gillette adjustable?

I understand the value if you're a collector, but I'm in it for the using and loving on my face aspect.

i had to restrain myself from bidding on that one

the other one posted dmadol, i made the mistake of asking for more pictures, which revealed that it was close to mint... thing went for 93$ :frown:

i had to restrain myself from bidding on that one
the other one posted dmadol, i made the mistake of asking for more pictures, which revealed that it was close to mint... thing went for 93$ :frown:

Yep, I bid $50 for that one. LOST!! Kind of surprised me actually. There's another coming up next week that I'm expecting to go for over $200. It says NIB! Maybe even see it go over $300.

ah i'm just gonna stop bidding on fixed heads after this batch i have saved in the watchers list

i figure i can probably quench my RAD with an adjustable more than a shiny gold aristocrat/president/66... etc

just a university student with a part time job, these prices are way out of league :(

If you look at the Srad thread, you'll see that an american ebay member is hoovering up all the aristocrats

CONSPIRACY! this is Gillette's attempt to force us back into multiblades
or Merkur trying to get a stem the deluxe razors available forcing all of us to buy futurs and visions!

... where is this thread anyways? Srad??

Top Bottom