What's new

Do any barbers in the U.S. still use the traditional straight razor?

I know they are banned in a lot of places. Do any barbers use them anymore, or do they all use the modern disposable blade straight razor?

I do not know about all... but my barber, who I've patronized for many years will NOT use a straight anymore because of health concerns..
His are packed away for I don't know what..

I think that barbars would be willing but that the local and state health codes will not allow it. My guess is that they'd have to use disposable gear because cleaning the blade after use is out of bounds.

I think that barbars would be willing but that the local and state health codes will not allow it. My guess is that they'd have to use disposable gear because cleaning the blade after use is out of bounds.

They would be cleaner than ever with all kinds of chemicals available :001_rolle

My barber uses a Feather Artist club. They cannot use traditional straights in their shop due to health codes. So they use disposables to have a fresh blade for each customer.

I think that with all the things going around out there now that health dept. regulations have pretty much ended regular straight razor use by barbers. The barbers are licensed by their respective state, and their shops are inspected on a regular basis by local health depts. I don't think any barber would want to risk having his license revoked, so they'll be using disposable bladed straights.

Supposedly there's a barber 15 minutes from me who still uses straights (not shavettes). I plan on checking him out at some point.

Be careful about the guys who use the disposable blades. I have seen this happen with me more than once where they don't change the blade after each customer and give each new customer a fresh blade. I am talking about just where they use it on the neck and around the sideburns.

I always make sure I see them put a fresh blade in before they come at me.

Be careful about the guys who use the disposable blades. I have seen this happen with me more than once where they don't change the blade after each customer and give each new customer a fresh blade. I am talking about just where they use it on the neck and around the sideburns.

I always make sure I see them put a fresh blade in before they come at me.

If you have myopy that's not possible. I can't see what's going on as barber asks me remove my eyeglasses..

I know in Michigan they are not banned.. but most use the disposables for health reasons ( though I have never seen them change the blade) . The few I have talked to have said if I bring in my straight they will shave me with it.

I've got a barber down the road that gives $8 haircuts and still offers $20 shaves with a Boker. Best part is she's cute and 26yrs old :lol: I think the health violation excuse is bs. Of the 5 barbers i know that shave, two of them use a regular straight. I've asked the 2 barbers and they've never heard of such a thing. You've got to clean inbetween every hair cut anyways, plus sanitize your clippers too. So what gives??? The other 3 just don't want to waste time honing and stropping. Easier to just replace the blade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom