What's new

New Merkur Progress notches off, OCD taking over.

Hey all, I just got a new Merkur Progress at The Art of Shaving in Dallas. It was the only one they had besides the display so I take it. I'm checking it out while thinking about sending it to Mer to get it upgraded and I noticed something. The alignment notches are off. Not that big of a deal I try to tell myself, but my OCD for things like symmetry is taking over. Blade alignment on both sides with shark blades is fine though.

Is this common?

That is off by quite a lot, but as you noted, it doesn't do anything to hurt the functionality of the razor.

Take it back to the store you bought it from, and see if they will swap it out. I suspect that at some point down the line, the top plate may have been switched between this razor and the one they have on display.

QC issues with Merkur adjustables are well known.

Given how bad the blade gaps and alignments can be on Progresses, that is nothing to worry about if it doesn't affect the those things. And it appears its just that the upper head has been marked a little off. It's only there to mark the right way around to replace the head anyway.

Swapping it for another could reverse the situation, and a poorly made progress is just a useless display item.

If it really bugs you that much, contact Merkur with your pic, and in all probability, they'll send out an new top piece.

Last edited:
Thanks for some reassurance guys. I can't take it back because this was the only one they had. Maybe I'll find a way to make the notch bigger so it's both easier to see and doesn't bother me.

I see that you're thinking about sending it to Mer for the Mergress work. From what I hear, he might be able to fix that for you while he has it.

Top Bottom