What's new

Big Mistake---I blew it big time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hate this place....

So I was happily getting BBS DE shaves with my 1957 Gillette Super Speed Taper, when I decided to stop in and see some straight razors in this section of the forum....my big mistake is looking 'cause now I want one ( or several).
Honestly can't afford to get into this hobby being unemployed and disabled ...gonna have to do some serious saving.:huh:
I know that I want a nice one out of the gate, maybe a new or nice restored job...I can probably get one for under $200...but then it's like I'll need hones and strops, etc.
argh:blink::blush::huh::glare:

Can't really blame anyone for my own AD--I will certainly be checking the BST for the bargains.

Really just kidding looking forward to another adventure....again just don't know how I will pay for it:lol::lol:.:001_smile

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a good razor on the BST for probably under $65 -80. Get a Filly strop and skip the hones until you know if you are going to stick with it. You can probably get away with $100 or less to start.

It is addictive if you get into it, beware!:w00t:

Check out Larry's site (he's a member here):

http://www.whippeddog.com/

He has some budget items, that will get you started straight shaving. $33 for a vintage shave ready straight is pretty hard to beat. Throw in $17 for a strop kit, and you on your way to learning this new skill for $50 shipped.

Fancy Scales don't result in a better, or closer shave. They just look pretty. :w00t:

Thanks for the info so far...this is diffidently something I want to pursue so wouldn't I be better off saving my money and picking up some of the basic quality equipment??? I need all the information I can get to make an informed decision.:blushing:

Thanks
K

Well, the items we mentioned would still be good quality. Just not quite as fancy as they could be. You could then turn around and sell your stuff on BST if you want to buy some "nicer" equipment after you determine it is for you.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My advice would be;

1. Continue using the DE and lathering while you look around, read the forums and decide if it really what you want to try.

2. Pick a reasonably priced beginner razor from the BST and a starter strop from Ruprazor.com, that is all you really need to get started.

3. Change your posts to a normal color and size font. :w00t::lol:

Good Luck

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If there is any one sage piece of advice you take away from this forum, it's that you don't have to spend a lot to get tremendous results. Sure, in a perfect world we'd all be using Penhaligon's scented toilet paper, but you'll be amazed at what a world class shave you can get for a song. I'm probably in the 50th percentile, compared to the maniacs on this site, in terms of the gear I've accumulated (which means it's a lot), but I'll sooth my mug with witch hazel and Aqua Velva as much as with any high end aftershave in the rotation. Some creams and soaps may seem pricey at first, but that $7 puck of Tabac I've been chipping away at for years probably runs less per shave that any canned goo.

Straights are perhaps the greatest example of price not being indicative of quality. You'll read reviews of expensive razors from legendary names that left the author disappointed, if not angry beyond words. Conversely, you may discover that a very pedestrian blade may prove to be your best shaver. One of my favorites, a Geneva, was purchased for $16. Concentrate on learning to care for a blade and how to coax a satisfactory edge out of it before you worry about a megabuck razor. This is sound advice even if you had the dough to drop $500 on a straight right now- you'd quickly ruin it.

And, as already pointed out, tone down the fonts. If someone has to do it for you, believe me they'll be really small. :lol:

From one str8 Newb to another...good luck!

And if you want a good starter set, another option is to post a WTB here or in the WTB section. You'll have generous BBers hitting you up in no time to offload str8 stuff they have lying around.

My advice would be;

1. Continue using the DE and lathering while you look around, read the forums and decide if it really what you want to try.

2. Pick a reasonably priced beginner razor from the BST and a starter strop from Ruprazor.com, that is all you really need to get started.

3. Change your posts to a normal color and size font. :w00t::lol:-------:glare::001_huh::confused1:ohmy::wink2:

Good Luck

If there is any one sage piece of advice you take away from this forum, it's that you don't have to spend a lot to get tremendous results. Sure, in a perfect world we'd all be using Penhaligon's scented toilet paper, but you'll be amazed at what a world class shave you can get for a song. I'm probably in the 50th percentile, compared to the maniacs on this site, in terms of the gear I've accumulated (which means it's a lot), but I'll sooth my mug with witch hazel and Aqua Velva as much as with any high end aftershave in the rotation. Some creams and soaps may seem pricey at first, but that $7 puck of Tabac I've been chipping away at for years probably runs less per shave that any canned goo.

Straights are perhaps the greatest example of price not being indicative of quality. You'll read reviews of expensive razors from legendary names that left the author disappointed, if not angry beyond words. Conversely, you may discover that a very pedestrian blade may prove to be your best shaver. One of my favorites, a Geneva, was purchased for $16. Concentrate on learning to care for a blade and how to coax a satisfactory edge out of it before you worry about a megabuck razor. This is sound advice even if you had the dough to drop $500 on a straight right now- you'd quickly ruin it.

And, as already pointed out, tone down the fonts. If someone has to do it for you, believe me they'll be really small. :lol:
----I was not aware that font size was an issue on this forum...if you will tell me what size font you want me to use I would be more then happy to follow the direction of the moderators on this forum.:001_huh::huh::blink::ohmy::confused1

From one str8 Newb to another...good luck!

And if you want a good starter set, another option is to post a WTB here or in the WTB section. You'll have generous BBers hitting you up in no time to offload str8 stuff they have lying around.

Thanks great wisdom there...I was thinking along the those lines also for next month. Thank you:001_smile

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I was not aware that font size was an issue on this forum...if you will tell me what size font you want me to use I would be more then happy to follow the direction of the moderators on this forum.:001_huh::huh::blink::ohmy::confused1

How about just normal, like I made yours right here - that way other people can read it without getting eye strain.
That is the default. It takes extra effort to make it a different size and a different color.

Now that was funny!

Yes I know I'm wasting my time and effort....But it's mine to waste.:001_cool:

How about just normal, like I made yours right here - that way other people can read it without getting eye strain.
That is the default. It takes extra effort to make it a different size and a different color.

On the other hand, you'll always know which posts are his in his own threads. Just keep an eye out for the mean green and the gaggle of emoticons :wink:.

Exactly!
Thanks for helping to point out how irritating it really can be. :thumbup:

My friend, Ouch isn't really a second warning kind of guy! Just letting you know. :w00t:

Phil, I don't understand the issue with the size and color of my font I choose. I have replied to the moderator "Ouch" don't know his real name(publicly as he chose to bring it up publicly) I quote "----I was not aware that font size was an issue on this forum...if you will tell me what size font you want me to use I would be more then happy to follow the direction of the moderators on this forum." I have gone back and changed the size of font in this thread and intend to have this size going forth. Phil as a fellow Navy veteran one of the things I served and bled for was freedom of expression...whether it be religion or font color:wink2:. In every online forum I have been a part of this (font size and color) has never been an issue--dark green has always been my personal expression of me. I came here to talk and learn about wet shaving a new passion in my life, and I understand that the new guy gets a fair amount of ribbing and that's cool...But I wish this would be handled by pm's instead of the public piling on. No hard feelings no grudges...I'm not into that stuff.:001_smile

Welcome to the club! Glad to have another straight shaver in the group.

Thanks very much I got a lot to learn.

now its just a matter of time for you to come to the SRAD darkside

I don't even want to think about getting that problem.:ohmy: But it is probably only a matter of time.:001_rolle

In every online forum I have been a part of this (font size and color) has never been an issue--dark green has always been my personal expression of me. I came here to talk and learn about wet shaving a new passion in my life, and I understand that the new guy gets a fair amount of ribbing and that's cool...But I wish this would be handled by pm's instead of the public piling on. No hard feelings no grudges...I'm not into that stuff.:
With all due respect, if you plan to express yourself publicly in a forum, then you can expect public commentary on your forms of expression. Additionally, if you plan in the future to get advice, input and friendly banter from others in this forum, you may be doing yourself a bit of disservice if you turn off a percentage of the folks here with your particular style of online writing. Anyway, I think you know where you stand on this topic so let this be food for thought.

Last edited:
Kevin

I'm gonna' jump in with 2 cents worth here.

I appreciate your service and sacrifice - possibly the highest and most noble duty one can perform - but 'freedom of expression' doesn't really come in to this discussion.

See, this forum is not 'public' in the sense of open to all, free of charge, no one to be denied (like Usenet). This forum, like many on the internet, is a service paid for by others with rules, codes of conduct, standards of behavior and expectations of its users.

We, the users, are expected to behave as gentlemen - even if that means we may not be as free in our expression as we might wish. We are expected, as gentlemen, to refrain from harsh words or cruel judgments of our fellows here. We are expected, as gentlemen, to make sure that our words may be easily read and understood by others - which, in my mind, means: proper punctuation; easy on the slang; no bold-face, except for emphasis; an easy-to-read font in black (there's a reason why the forum owner/operator chose the default settings that he did); easy on the smilies and leet-speak.

We are here to share and support - not fly the flag of our ego or claim the entitlement to do so because of our circumstance.

Kevin
See, this forum is not 'public' in the sense of open to all, free of charge, no one to be denied (like Usenet). This forum, like many on the internet, is a service paid for by others with rules, codes of conduct, standards of behavior and expectations of its users.
I think this is an important point. Although there isn't a charge per se for B&B, it isn't public domain. Too many individuals think that by signing up for a website, they are entitled to and accorded rights. In fact, they are only are allocated usage privileges, which are revocable at any time. If you want to assert your rights, do so in private or in truly public domains. I cannot decide to fingerpaint on the walls at work because of my right of freedom of expression. However, in Kevin's defense he has not violated (as I can see) any terms of B&B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom