What's new

Short, soft, backbone brush under $80?

I don't like/plan to spend more than $75 really but I'm looking for something taller than a wee scott, not huge but a good soft knot with some back bone. I've been using a Vulfix for about 3 years now. Great brush, but I just want to get a stiffer brush that's just as soft and medium sized. Any suggestion AND links/photos would be great. Thanks!!!

chris

Just got a Simpson Case in best and I like it a lot. I prefer smaller brushes for face lathering, got it off thesuperiorshave.com for a great price with free shipping and the travel tube.

I have a a few Rooney and Simpson brushes. FOr the money, the best value is my 1/1 in best from classicshaving. It was around 55 bucks, has great backbone, and soft tips. The handle of the 1/1 is small for some, but for me it is perfect. The 3/1 in super (75 bucks) is also excellent. Good luck, avoid SBAD!

Just about convinced myself to get a Simpson X2L in best for the very reasons you mention.

I've a Simpsons Special in best which is a great brush for the money and I could whole heartedly recommend it to anybody but like JP the Simpsons Colonel looks very promising.:thumbup1:

You have a few options here. Rooney in Best or Super is always good, but for the money I prefer my Simpsons Duke 1, actually cheaper than the Rooney in Super. I'm also contemplating buying a Case too... But don't rule out the Wee Scot. I love mine.

I had a Rooney 3/1 in "Super" Silvertip, and can attest to their quality. I got a PenWorks custom to replace it, but if I hadn't, I'd still use it. The Rooney 1/1 is the same thing as the Truefitt and Hill style 1 in small, but using that code posted above knocks over $10 off the best price I can find on the Rooney. That'd be my suggestion.

I have a few badger brushes and would recommend the Omega 30005 boar for 16.00 shipped or the Rooney 2/1. The Ronney 2/1 is great with both soaps & creams. A few extra dollars and you can have both...:001_cool: The Omega has great back bone, excellent flow thru and the softest tips. The specs are 24/55 mm. Happy shopping!

I tried a boar brush, and it just didn't work for me, dunno why but I didn't like it. I'm thinking of the Rooney's because those seem to be the best prices along with the other vulfix brushes.

I have a Wee Scot that I love. Because of my SBAD, I purchased a Simpsons Special a while back but haven't even used it because I love that little Scot. But I'm glad to see the Special get mentioned here, in case I do ever decide to break that bad boy out. Love that little Wee Scot though man - little fella just makes me happy :tongue_sm

I tried a boar brush, and it just didn't work for me, dunno why but I didn't like it. I'm thinking of the Rooney's because those seem to be the best prices along with the other vulfix brushes.
Which boar brush did you try? I had one that I hated too. They also take a while to break in. What I like about the boar brush there is less aeration in the lather. So, the lather is more dense like a very moist cake batter..:001_smile

Last edited:
Kevin, I don't remember, I think it was one of the more popular ones here. Go to advanced search and type in topherloaf in the name thingy and see which I sold, I had photos and everything. The wee scot looks like too much fun. I dunno, SO HARD to choose!

I happen to have a Wee Scot also and it is one of my top performers. In the summer I have used it when shaving my head..:tongue_sm It is small but packs a big punch!
I use soaps 99% of the time. Taback being my favorite

Last edited:
Top Bottom