What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89L vs Merkur 34C Long

I am brand new to this. I bought the 34C based on the rave reviews everywhere. Now I am reading all about this Edwin Jagger DE89L and I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I have only used the 34C twice. It was ok. Should I stick with it or go with the Edwin Jagger DE89L?

I would love to hear the opinions of people who have both or either. Thanks

I am brand new to this. I bought the 34C based on the rave reviews everywhere. Now I am reading all about this Edwin Jagger DE89L and I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I have only used the 34C twice. It was ok. Should I stick with it or go with the Edwin Jagger DE89L?

I would stick with the Merkur until you get comfortable with your technique. I have the EJ DE 89L and the Merkur 34 and both are great razors. However, I think that the quality is much better on the EJ razor. This is my opinion only. Both pretty much have the same aggressiveness level. The EJ is a three piece razor where as the Merkur is a two piece. I would invest a little more time with the Merkur and than buy the EJ DE89L, you know your gonna get the other one:lol:. You really cannot go wrong with either one of these razors. But it's my opinion only that the EJ is a better product in build and feel. Of course YMMV applies here. Both razor have huge fan bases. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I was going to get the HD 34c but it was out everywhere so I went with the DE89L. From reading the reviews on this board, I can't imagine the 34c would be anything other than spectacular for a beginning razor. Even pros say they still go back to it from time to time.

I take it the DE89L is slightly less aggressive than the 34c but essentially the heads are based on the same design. I've also heard that the finish on the Edwin Jagger is a little more polished.

Personally, I think you made the right choice. I still want to try the 34c because of its reputation. But I do so love the DE89L.

RAD is likely whispering in your ear.

That's funny because I was thinking the same thing but in the opposite way: I bought the Mühle R89 (same head as EJ89L) and was wondering about the 34C ("the lawn of my neighbor is greener than mine"). But as these two things are the most advised things for newbies here, one should stick to either of these, they are both good shavers.

+1 on everyone's advice to stick it out. Might as well roll with the one you've got now, since you have it. These are very similar razors. Play around with the Merkur and them maybe you might want to go get a Super Speed or an adjustable or something totally - who knows? Tons of variety out there apart from these two.

I've got both and as people say they are both fine razors. I started with the 34c and suspect that for the first couple of months I would not have noticed any difference between this and the 89L as during that period you are honing your technique and testing different blades, soaps and creams. However, once my technique had reached a decent standard and I was down to a very shortlist of preferred blades/products, I then moved on to buy to EJ 89L not out of dissatisfaction with the 34c but just to try something different. With this razor I have found personally that ONLY with Feathers does it give a superior shave than the HD. With other blades it seems to be the same (or with Astras slightly worse I found), although I agree with others that the finish of the EJ is better.

I (and many others) made the beginner's mistake to focus on gear instead on technique.
Train your technique, find a routine that suits you and then try out different razors. Switching between razors too early frustrated me, because with my insufficient technique I couldn't get the enjoyment I had expected from all the rave reviews. Now that I know my basics, I can enjoy the fine details so much more.

I (and many others) made the beginner's mistake to focus on gear instead on technique.
Train your technique, find a routine that suits you and then try out different razors. Switching between razors too early frustrated me, because with my insufficient technique I couldn't get the enjoyment I had expected from all the rave reviews. Now that I know my basics, I can enjoy the fine details so much more.

This is great advice.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I would stick with the Merkur until you get comfortable with your technique. I have the EJ DE 89L and the Merkur 34 and both are great razors. However, I think that the quality is much better on the EJ razor. This is my opinion only. Both pretty much have the same aggressiveness level. The EJ is a three piece razor where as the Merkur is a two piece. I would invest a little more time with the Merkur and than buy the EJ DE89L, you know your gonna get the other one:lol:. You really cannot go wrong with either one of these razors. But it's my opinion only that the EJ is a better product in build and feel. Of course YMMV applies here. Both razor have huge fan bases. Hope this helps.

I totally agree.

I have the EJ D89L and really like it, I highly recommend it. However, since you already have Merkur 34C you should stick with it. Either razor should be capable of a high quality shave.

Often too much is made of the razor, when it is the least important part of the equation. Really it's only a blade holder. The more important aspects of the process is the prep, blade, brush, lather and most importantly your technique.

So stay with the 34C, and happy shaving!

DD

Top Bottom