What's new

Impressions of Parker 98r

my first razor was a parker 22r, which worked ok but I was then gifted a merkur long handle regular. I tried to give the parker and the merkur equal time, as i have to give some props to my peoples (i'm indian and hairy). but there was no comparison as the merkur was much more durable and gave a bbs each time with less nicks (using same derby or feather blades).

I thought i would never give parker another try but I wanted something heavier and smoother. for about 30$ the new parker 98r was over 4 oz x 4 inches of pretty brass. but not wanting to judge a book by the cover, i was skeptical.

Well, I after 30 beautiful shaves with the new parker, i am a new parker fan. the 98r is solidly built, with a heavier head and a longer screw than the merkur 3 piece. i dropped it on the floor the 2nd time i shaved w/ it and thought it was done. boy was i surprised to see that it still gave the same shave. it simply glides over my face with that inertia. the finish is beautiful, the barberpole pattern is a beaut too.

i think overall it's a great value for 30 bucks. it performs like a HD razor should. No complaints yet. Disclaimer: i haven't tried a Futur or an HD long handle open comb or HD LH slant. I have tried the 34C and much prefer the 98r to it as the longer handle is more comfy to me. hope this helps

Just suggested the Parker 98R to another member of the forum. I've only used the razor for a week but I must say that I'm really enjoying the shaves. The weight and feel of the razor are simply awesome for me.

I haven't used mine for a good while but it did perform very well. I don't like razors that are that heavy so I'll probably put it on the BST when I have a chance. The only thing that annoyed me about the 98R is the necessity to take care to ensure the blade is properly aligned when it's time to change it. Still, it's easier to do than with a Gillette New Improved...

Top Bottom