What's new

Military automatic watches?

I just recently got a Fossil quartz from a friend of mine that was used. And I've had to already replace the battery. Ugh! I'm interested in getting a automatic watch, preferably with a canvas band. I saw some offers on the Bay for Seiko automatics, but a lot of them are from overseas Asian countries (Philippines, Singapore), so I'm wary.

Anyone know of any good brands/watch sellers?

If you want a real Mil-spec watch, look for a Marathon or CWC watch. Marathon makes watches for the US and Canadian search and rescue units and NASA divers, while CWC makes watches for the Brits. Excellent, top notch stuff. Starting pice for anauto is $700, but they both make outstanding quartz models for $450. I'm going to be picking up a TSAR at some point.

I had one of the Citizen mil-styled watches off Amazon, I returned it because none of the hands lined up with the markers. You probably want the Seiko 5 Military Automatic SNZG09K1 (see pic below). A few sellers on eBay have them.

Last edited:
How much were you looking to spend? There are many fine military style watches on the market but the price range varies quite a bit. I am thinking Muhle Glashutte or Tutima to Panerai. Also, are you looking for complications like a chronograph, rotating bezel for elapsed time, or just a straight timekeeper?

Westcoastime has a big selection of military and military inspired watches with a wide selection of prices. There a few quirks to deal with: The site is clunky and hard to tell prices at a glance even after you open the page for a watch's description; there is no cart, you email for the intent to purchase.

Westcoastime has a big selection of military and military inspired watches with a wide selection of prices. There a few quirks to deal with: The site is clunky and hard to tell prices at a glance even after you open the page for a watch's description; there is no cart, you email for the intent to purchase.

X2. But they have a nice variety of quality watches and I found the proprietor good to deal with.

Here's the best site for current and vintage military watch information:
http://www.broadarrow.net/

And as far as automatics +1 on the Marathon. I bought a SAR off the original Oct 2001 contract, added a metal bracelet when they were first made available a year or two later, and its been flawless since :)

Now if budget isn't an issue and you want vintage, the Heuer and Sinn based military chronos are great. I'm wearing a Sinn 156Mil as I type this.

Last edited:
How much were you looking to spend? There are many fine military style watches on the market but the price range varies quite a bit. I am thinking Muhle Glashutte or Tutima to Panerai. Also, are you looking for complications like a chronograph, rotating bezel for elapsed time, or just a straight timekeeper?

Just a straight time keeper. I didn't want to go over $130 USD.

Automatic military watch should be an oxymoron.

Anyone who sets their watch by 5, 10 and 15 megz knows what I mean.

Just a straight time keeper. I didn't want to go over $130 USD.

Here is one Tex [link].
It isn't an automatic, but winding a watch in the morning
is actually one of my favorite habits.
No doubt, Howard is great to deal with, I never meant otherwise.

Last edited:
You're really spoilt for choice for a military watch. From a $50 Lorus to sky's-the-limit. MWC,CWC, RLT, Seiko, Rotary ad nauseum. I would invest in a G10 strap from watchworx.co.uk tho. They're FANTASTIC quality. If you have a small wrist, consider a Darch for $20. Japanese mvt, mineral glass and WR! Cannot go wrong with them. Mine's gained 1.5s in two months.

+1 on the seiko 5 (I have the blue one). Ordered via one of the overseas ebay sellers with zero problems. Arrived in about 10 days, IIRC. Beautiful watch, keeping great time.

Hokay...

The Seiko posted above is quite possibly the worst watch I have ever owned. I used to repair watches for a living, and got sucked into the elegance of a self winding movement with 25 jewels, even knowing that at their best they lose 2 minutes a day.

Like resetting your watch (at best) three times a week?

I moved on to the Citizen, which has kept much better time and I really can't complain at all about its performance...but no one outside their factory is allowed to work on it, or the things self destruct or something. Mechanical watches wear, and need maintenance like any other machine.

I like the style and weight of these watches, and the citizens can serve you well enough provided you wear them often enough to keep them charged. But really, in this day and age, you should consider looking for a Casio G Shock with solar batteries and a world clock tie-in that resets itself by atomic decay every day.

And then you never have to worry about it until it breaks, like when you back over it with your car.

Also, for the money, the Victorinox Swiss Army watches are amazing...they (at least used to) gold plate their gears to minimize friction. Talk about hidden value...

Best,

Boomer

2 minutes for an automatic is really really off, a cheap Vostok amphibia (soviet army diver) which you can pick them up on the bay for around 80 bucks will do 60 seconds a day, and i´ve had a seiko 5 that was doing less then 10 seconds a day, if you have an automatic thats loosing/gaining 2 minutes a day, it should really visit a shop to be adjusted,

Legion

Staff member
I've had my eye on a CWC for a while now. As I understand it, this is the watch that was issued to the Royal Navy divers when it was decided that the Rolex that they had been using was too expensive. The way I see it, if this thing was to be a Rolex replacement, even a budget one, it is well worth consideration.

Top Bottom