What's new

A Newbie Seeking Much Needed Advice

Hi all, newly registered having been browsing your very good website for invaluable info over the last couple of days.

I'll lay my cards on the table here and give a bit of background to my post. I'm a VERY new convert to wet shaving in that I only received my Merkur HD 34C DE razor last weekend.

I've long been a user of cartridge razors which on the whole gave at best, an adequate, pain free, but very expensive shave for your buck. During this time I've been building up to the full wet shave conversion by using Taylor's of Old Bond Street shave cream which I picked up on a chance shopping trip a couple of years back in Glasgow in a shaving emporium.

I have to confess, I have found this cream to be excellent and have subsequently purchased and road tested every shaving cream scent in the range.

I have also been using a pure badger shaving brush, also purchased from Taylor's (online) which again has improved my shave significantly.

In the week I've had my DE razor, along side which I purchased 10 Merkur platinum coated blades, I've had 3 shaves, with mixed success.

I have to confess, I was a little bit tentative, but ultimately excited, the first time I limbered up for my first PROPER wet shave. I showered, scrubbed my face, hot towel treatment, then spent some time working up a nice lather using Mr Taylor's own named shave cream. I also used some shaving oil underneath.

I used two passes, one with the grain, and ambititiously for my first shave, one against the grain. I have to say, it was a pleasant shave, with one minor nick. But on the whole, a close shave which went better than I expected.

I shaved two days later, perhaps a little complacent from my surprising first shave and proceeded to have a horrendous one! Many nicks, serious razor burn and the inability to shave for at least 4 days. My preparation was identical to my first shave, and the same blade was used.

I shaved just last night and had a good shave, with no nicks, but still experiencing some razor burn and very red, sore, dry skin subsequent to my second and third shaves.

I have viewed mantic59's you tubes videos, absorbed as much of your many good post's information as I can but feel DE razor shaving is perhaps not for me? I do believe, aside from my wet shave sensitivity, that I do have fair, sensitive skin and would appreciate any additional advice more experienced shavers could give? I do wish to stick at this fine art, as have many happy memories watching my Dad as a very young boy go through the at times laborious, but by no means unenjoyable wet shave, with ironically, like myself, mixed success? Where was Badger and Blade when he was starting out? :thumbup:

Apologies for the length of the post and look forward to hearing from you :001_smile

First of all welcome to B&B!!!! We are glad to have you here.

Everything you have is of high quality, with the possible exception of your blades. I think that if you bought a sampler pack of blades online you may find some that are more suited to your skin.

Merkur blades are mediocre at best and I think you will find much smoother shaves with other blades. (Derby's, Crystals, Sharks)

I would also recommend just going with one pass for now, while you are learning. Just focus on developing your technique and finding the right blade angle.

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any other questions.

Many thanks Baba, I shall take on board your advice. If I'm being honest, the Merkur blades didn't fill me with confidence. Seem fine for a general number of strokes then seem to become VERY unforgiving. Then again, that could be down to my poor technique rather than the blades? Like everything else, will experiment with different blades :thumbup:

As Jim said, a change of blade might help you out...... however, when you are starting out it is difficult to isolate one area that might be causing your problems. The fact that your first shave was good leads me to think that you might have been a little complacent during your subsequent shaves.
Mantic's videos are great- take your time, make sure that your lather is good and then concentrate on controlling your blade- correct angle and no pressure and I'm sure that the experience will improve for you.
Good luck!

It just takes time and practice. Don't try for close, settle for so-so shaves early on. I've been shaving for over 40 years and it still took several months for my shaves to become consistent and close with a DE.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Repeat the mantra in your head as you shave, over and over;

No pressure.
Really - not less pressure, NO pressure

Go slow
If you think your going too slow, then go slower. This is not about getting done quickly.

Correct angle
30 degrees is a guideline, this angle can seem to be off due to the different types of heads on razors or the curvature of your face. If the angle is not enough, the side of the blade scrapes your skin as you cut the hair.
Try starting with the razor against your face and the handle parallel to the floor. Slowly lower the handle until the blade starts cutting. That is where you need to be. If you keep lowering the handle, you will begin to scrape the skin.

Don't pull the skin too tight, just enough to give you a flat surface for cutting the hair.

Good luck, ask questions, and keep us posted on your progress!

Top Bottom