What's new

What's so bad about "canned goo"?

I'm being completely honest here.
I've got a can of Barbasol Skin Conditioner cream (yellow stripes), and it definitely has a long list of ingredients. However, my Proraso cream and Omega soap seem to have some similarly-long names of not-exactly-natural-sounding substances.

What specifically is in the canned 'goo' and 'foam' that is considered bad for your face in the long run.

I do believe in the benefit of a shaving brush and the smallest number of blades/passes, but I can't really come up with a good answer in defense of non-aerosol soaps and creams since I can't specifically name what is a "BAD" ingredient. Plus, that Barbasol Skin Conditioner stuff feels quite slick, contains lanolin, and only requires about 99 cents, a shake and a button-push.

And yes, I'm fully aware that I'm probably opening up a can of enraged worms here. Let me have it.

it's something about there being a gas/bubble content (carbon dioxide?), really small ones, in the cream. I guess it's part of the aerosol system. dries the skin out, leaving it more prone to irritation, burn, etc, etc.

IMHO there's absolutely nothing wrong with canned goo. some are better than others. stay away from Old Spice shaving cream, it's just awful. Barbasol is nice; I use Barbasol all the time. Gillette and Nivea make some decent stuff, too. But I guess if you can afford the shaving soap/brush, go for it.

I say let the results speak for the product. I don't get too invested in the ingredients label. Give each product a good try and use what works best for you.

One arguably bad thing about canned goo is the environmental impact of disposing of the metal can, but that's another matter.

- Chris

Never really looked into whether canned creams and gels are bad for my skin, or how that would compare with soaps and creams I use now. I just like the feel of face lathering with a brush, and it seems to me that the lathers I get actually work better. Doesn't have to be that expensive, either. I suspect that, for example, Van der Hagen soap would work out to cost less per shave than Barbasol, at about $1.27 a puck.

I say let the results speak for the product. I don't get too invested in the ingredients label. Give each product a good try and use what works best for you.

I agree. While I enjoy quality products like TOBS, AOS, Tabac, et al.... I don't mind using Gillette Gel from time to time. Especially when I travel. To my mind, if it works and you like it... use it.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with it at all. It's just not any fun--I exhausted all of the entertaining possibilities of a can of shaving cream when I was in college. I still get a kick out of using a brush and soap or cream. For me, that's the only difference.

For me at least, the biggest factor is not the "bad" ingredients to avoid, but that the quality and range of scents is why I love soaps and creams vs the cans.

I'm not sure about your face, but I bet the ozone layer isn't too happy about the aerosols. If that doesn't bother you, go for it. The best shaving cream for you is the one you like...

"What's so bad about "canned goo"?"

This question reminded me of when I was in the North End, Boston at a nice Italian Restaurant and I asked my waiter what the difference between gelato and ice cream was.

And he so eloquently answered, "Gelato is-a goood, and ice cream-a sucks."

But anyway, nothing's wrong with canned goo if you like it. Personally, I don't care for the look of it, the feel of it, the fragrance of it.

The thing that's missing from canned goo is the brush.
Massaging the freshly made warm lather into your whisker with a brush softens them and prepares them for mowing much better then just slathering cold foam on your face.

Barbasol is not bad but it isn't good either. It simply "is".

The Gillette stuff, on the other hand, is scientifically formulated in concert with the Mach 3/4/5 engineering team to gum up the cartridges in record time, requiring you to change them 3x as often as otherwise would be necessary.

Barbasol is not bad but it isn't good either. It simply "is".

The Gillette stuff, on the other hand, is scientifically formulated in concert with the Mach 3/4/5 engineering team to gum up the cartridges in record time, requiring you to change them 3x as often as otherwise would be necessary.

:lol::lol:

Although probably true!

I'm still slowly using up a can of that Nivea sensitive skin shaving gel goo that I got for Christmas. The only way I can use the stuff is to add a squirt or two to the lather bowl with KMF and VDH on the brush. Works out nicely....but I would not buy the Goo.

Cheers, Tutti Frutti.:ohmy:

If it works for you, use it. The canned stuff didn't agree with me. I have to shave daily for work and always had red irritated skin, bumps and ingrown hairs. Not anymore!!!

Top Bottom