What's new

Rubberset restore

Hi all,
I got a rubberset on the cheap from ebay recently. I've started my restore, and would appreciate some advice. I've removed the former bristles and am working on the inside. I'm wondering if others that have done this could comment. Do I need to go deeper? Is this still the bottom of the knot that I'm working on?

This is how it looked when I received it.
proxy.php

Pulled out the bristles with pliers and clened it up a little bit.
proxy.php

After working on it with the dremmel for a short time, I'm here. Is this still the plug and do I need to keep going?
proxy.php

And another shot.
proxy.php

Having fun with this. Looking forward to the completed product. Still need to do a thorough cleaning, remove the ridges on the sides, polish and order a knot.

That looks to be the original shelf. If you put a knot in it to that klevel the loft of the knot will be anywhere from 50mm to 55mm I have found that particular brush will give you about a 53mm loft with a 20mm knot. If you want a lower loft which will be be more suited for an everyday work horse brush, good for face lathering, soaps, and creams you may want to set you knot a little lower for more backbone. I suggest like a 47mm or so. To do this you will keep right on going throught the shelf and then build yourself a new one with epoxy. That way you can set the level where you want to.

I agree with Joe....

I would go deeper. I favor 42-44 mm lofts...

Nice work so far...that handle ought to make a nice restore.

That looks to be the original shelf. If you put a knot in it to that klevel the loft of the knot will be anywhere from 50mm to 55mm I have found that particular brush will give you about a 53mm loft with a 20mm knot. If you want a lower loft which will be be more suited for an everyday work horse brush, good for face lathering, soaps, and creams you may want to set you knot a little lower for more backbone. I suggest like a 47mm or so. To do this you will keep right on going throught the shelf and then build yourself a new one with epoxy. That way you can set the level where you want to.

Thanks Prophetic_joe. I think some of your previous posts have been guiding me in this process :001_smile So it sounds like I should pause here until I figure out what kind of brush I'm looking to have.

Thanks!

Im doing the exact same thing right now. im using two ever readys, an omega, a peerless and a klenzo. They're all going smoothly. If you haven't gotten to the part where you put the knot in then a word of warning. The knot should fit snuggly in the handle by itself. If it wiggles, then consider gluing a bit of shimming in there with gorilla glue. Just enough to make it stop wiggling. I almost ruined a project last week with a knot that didnt quite fit.

Im doing the exact same thing right now. im using two ever readys, an omega, a peerless and a klenzo. They're all going smoothly. If you haven't gotten to the part where you put the knot in then a word of warning. The knot should fit snuggly in the handle by itself. If it wiggles, then consider gluing a bit of shimming in there with gorilla glue. Just enough to make it stop wiggling. I almost ruined a project last week with a knot that didnt quite fit.

Thanks, Zees. I assume you're talking about shimming around the sides of the knot. Yes? What did you use? The epoxy wouldn't fill in around the sides well enough?

Sax

You could always add fillers to the epoxy...I did some fibreglass hull repairs a while back, I used additives mixed into the epoxy to turn it into a peanut-butter like consistency...it held up well and dried hard.

I did the same handle on this restore. I removed the lines on the sides and drilled it all the way through to set it at 20/48.

I spent some time with a dremmel, Maas and sandpaper today. I would not recommend using a dremmel with sanding drum to reduce the ridge. Well, I did a really poor job and ended up spending a long time with the Maas. Here is the latest.
proxy.php

sorry for the delay,

I used some leftover maple shimming i had from a fretless bass conversion. I didnt even wrap it around the knot, just about 2 or 4 1cmX4 cm pieces.

zee

Really looking forward to seeing the finished product. Please do keep us in the loop. You're tempting me to have a go at one myself.
Cheers,
Scott
(SjhC)

i have exactly same handle.. i ordered 20 mm TGN silvertip and 20 mm TGN pure badger knot but i tried to re- knot then both of them seems to me small then handle. so i suspend to put these knots and waiting to order bigger then these knots. maybe 22 mm or 24 mm will fit with my handle. also it should be extra hair IMHO.
Regards.

Top Bottom